Christmas portrait

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited November 29, 2006 in People
After attempting way too many pictures for a five year old's patience, I think this was probably the best shot...and I think it was about shot number 5 (of about 90)! How are the skin tones here? I really don't trust myself with getting the color right yet, so I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

113286950-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Wonderful shot. Colors look fine to me.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    great all-around photo and colors look fine on my monitor.
    thumb.gif
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Spot on. When I read the title "Christmas portrait" I was afraid aI will see another "shopping centre" style photograph. It was a very nice surprise to see this stylish photo.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Thanks, guys! That's a confidence booster! This is my son, and tomorrow I'm taking photos of a 9 month old in the same setting. I love the natural light here in my living room, but I know I won't get a baby to sit still, so I'm worried about getting a natural light shot at high enough speeds to be in focus. Any tips or ideas? The shot of my son was at 1/13 of a second...not exactly fast!! I don't want to end up with a flat flashed shot. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks again,
    Elaine
    Elaine

• Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Elaine, if you have an external falsh you can create a very similar effect with a bit of experimenting. Shooting in manual mode you would set your time to 1/50s or 1/60s and than adjust the apreture to get the right effect. At this time setting a lot of natural light gets in.

Also, I'd dial in a FEC (flash exposure compensation of -2/3).

If you dont have an external flash try creating an impromtu diffuser (semi transparent milk bottle or another container) to cover the flash and shoot few try shots till you get the right combination. Again, do this in manual so your values do not change on you. Only when you are happy with it, place the baby in the position.

The trick here is not to expose to the visible light but to set the camera for the flash/ambient light combination.

Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, guys! That's a confidence booster! This is my son, and tomorrow I'm taking photos of a 9 month old in the same setting. I love the natural light here in my living room, but I know I won't get a baby to sit still, so I'm worried about getting a natural light shot at high enough speeds to be in focus. Any tips or ideas? The shot of my son was at 1/13 of a second...not exactly fast!! I don't want to end up with a flat flashed shot. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks again,
    Elaine
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Very very nice. thumb.gif
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    I will add to the general idea that it is a great shot. I like the fact that the little lights in the background are out of focus yet there to brighten up the photograph.
    You can glue a piece of kitchen paper (the cleanex stuff) over your flash to diffuse the light, which would give you more speed to shoot.
    Good luck with the baby tomorrow!
    edited November 28, 2006
    Thank you Ted and photocat for the specific pointers on using flash. I don't have an external flash yet (it's on my Christmas list), so I'll have to make do with what I've got. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks again for the comments and help!

Elaine
    Elaine

• NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    I love this shot! Geat lightning and colours, very well done!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    This really is beautiful. I wonder if you could crop it a little tighter without losing all of the lights.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Very appealing shot with lots of warmth from the natural lights...colors look good to me, too, Elaine. I like it alot!!! thumb.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Spot on. When I read the title "Christmas portrait" I was afraid aI will see another "shopping centre" style photograph. It was a very nice surprise to see this stylish photo.

I AGREE!!! This is beautiful, gorgeous, well executed. nice work!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited November 28, 2006
    Thank you SO much, everyone! I really appreciate all the kind comments! :D

Elaine
    Elaine

edited November 28, 2006
    elaine, looks like you used a one light setup camera left, would you mind elaborating?
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited November 28, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    elaine, looks like you used a one light setup camera left, would you mind elaborating?

Actually, this is all natural light in my living room, coming from a large sliding door and window and windows high up in a vaulted room...and yes, all on camera left. I think my living room is turning into a Christmas studio! The light is great, so today I'm shooting for a 9 month old and her momma, and I may do a couple more families next week. Eeeks! I'm just learning here! My camera equipment consists of...my camera and a few lenses, but no external flash or lights or reflectors or anything else.

So, this shot was very simple in some respects...just trying to get my son to hold still for a slower shutter speed was the most challenging part! :D

I'm flattered you asked me to elaborate!

Elaine
    Elaine

edited November 28, 2006
    Elaine wrote:
    Actually, this is all natural light in my living room, coming from a large sliding door and window and windows high up in a vaulted room...and yes, all on camera left. I think my living room is turning into a Christmas studio! The light is great, so today I'm shooting for a 9 month old and her momma, and I may do a couple more families next week. Eeeks! I'm just learning here! My camera equipment consists of...my camera and a few lenses, but no external flash or lights or reflectors or anything else.

So, this shot was very simple in some respects...just trying to get my son to hold still for a slower shutter speed was the most challenging part! :D

I'm flattered you asked me to elaborate!

Elaine

it looked very natural, but a definitive light source, so that's why i asked! Congrats on all the jobs, I myself am swamped with Christmas requests and hope it will lead to more steady referrals post-holiday mwink.gif

Make sure you take note of the time of day! In my (limited) experience, window light changes dramatically by the hour.

I took a peek at your son's gallery and you have some mighty fine shots of him. This one in particular highlights your progress and prowess! Bravo!clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    I agree with all the comments here - great shot! When I think of Christmas portraits, I think of an overall "warm" feeling, and this shot nails it. Warm skin tones, warm natural light, etc. I can almost sense a fireplace nearby from the feeling I get from this shot! thumb.gif

Great job!
    edited November 29, 2006
    bobcool wrote:
    I agree with all the comments here - great shot! When I think of Christmas portraits, I think of an overall "warm" feeling, and this shot nails it. Warm skin tones, warm natural light, etc. I can almost sense a fireplace nearby from the feeling I get from this shot! thumb.gif

Great job!

Thank you for the kind words, bobcool!
    Elaine

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    very nice portrait! good use of light. i was thinking it was too warm, but i it goes well with the christmas lights. very nice eyes!
  • manta1900manta1900 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    How about these colors?
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    manta1900 wrote:
    How about these colors?

Too much green on my monitor.
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Elaine wrote:
    After attempting way too many pictures for a five year old's patience, I think this was probably the best shot...and I think it was about shot number 5 (of about 90)! How are the skin tones here? I really don't trust myself with getting the color right yet, so I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Wow, great shot, I love it and the colours look good to me, excellent job.

Charlie
    edited November 29, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    Wow, great shot, I love it and the colours look good to me, excellent job.

Charlie

Thank you very much!
    Elaine

edited November 29, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    Too much green on my monitor.

I have to agree...I think I'll stick with the warmer tones. :)
    Elaine