Lens Opinion Please

PalusMusPalusMus Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited December 7, 2006 in Cameras
I have a Canon 20D and mostly use an EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM lens. Here in S.E. Alaska we have alot of low light conditions so I'm thinking of buying a EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM. Is this a wise choice ?
Here's the type of photos I usually take www.palusmus.smugmug.com .
Opinions please

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Well I'm no expert, but I guess it depends a lot on $$. You have some very nice images online. They are a big range, some wide angle and some tele. I don't think there will be one lens to do both extremes with high quality.

I have the 20D also. My walkaround lens is a Tamron 28-75 f2/8; it's pretty high quality, especially for the money. My sports (and limited wildlife) lens is a Canon 70-200 f/4L (non-IS). These make a decent value-for-the-money kit in my opinion.

If I had the cash I would buy the 24-105 f/4L IS as my walkaround lens, and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS. But that's a pipe dream for me!

I guess it's all in what you shoot, and what your budget is.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    if you're using a 28-300 and like shooting somewhere in that range then I would look at the ef 70-200 f2.8L-just a great lens-

and the 24-70 f2.8L is just as great (in my mind)-

you buy ef-s and you ever move up to, say, the 5d, that ef-s lens stays behind-
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    It's a pretty expensive lens but has excellent to very good optics, it's fast, and has IS. Consider Tamron 17-50 and Sigma 18-50 as other possible cheaper alternatives. As for the range, it's great for "walking around."
  • SteveLajoieSteveLajoie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Worth its weight in Gold!
    I am certainly no expert but I am a massive fan of the 28-300 IS/L it is fantastic for my motorsport photography but also wonderfully versitile for other sceic shooting BUT it is an absolute killer on the neck on a whole day shoot.

I was so impressed with this L series lens I saved like fury and recently got myself the new Canon 24-105 IS/L. Wow, like the 28-300 wonderfull half the size a great all day general purpose lens. Admittedly a lot of money but to my mind well worth the expedature.

(Irony is both lens are worth more than my camera Canon 30D but the are so worth it AND they will move up with me if (ever) I can afford to move up.
    EOS 30D | EOD 20D | S50 | EFS 18-55 | 28-300 L | 24-105 L | 50-500 APO/HSM | 580EX | Hoya UV | Manfroto Mono | Velbon UltrMax Tri | Don't forget the Tokina 28-210 I use as a paper weight