How do I link selected photos from a private gallery to a public gallery

canter690canter690 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 4, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have a number of private galleries on smugmug and would like to pick and choose which images I display in my public gallery. Would prefer to have a simple link and not have to create another copy of the image.

Is this possible ?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    canter690 wrote:
    I have a number of private galleries on smugmug and would like to pick and choose which images I display in my public gallery. Would prefer to have a simple link and not have to create another copy of the image.

Is this possible ?
    Mostly likely, yes! Do you have a power or pro account? What's your site?

You can do it with keyword galleries, we can show you how deal.gif

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!
  • canter690canter690 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Mostly likely, yes! Do you have a power or pro account? What's your site?

You can do it with keyword galleries, we can show you how deal.gif

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin!
    Andy

site is Killian.smugmug.com - its a standard account so not Power or Pro.

My private galleries are being uploaded now but are organised with the gallery name of YYYY/MM/DD with the file names as YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.jpg. So it is possible I will end up with 40-50 galleries for each year. I have considered organising them as Category=YYYY and Subcategory=Month but what I really want is to simply have a link from an individual photo to a separate gallery.

I am uploading them as we speak so I hope I dont have to restart the upload in order to organise these in a different manner.

Cheers
    edited November 29, 2006
    canter690 wrote:
    Andy

site is Killian.smugmug.com - its a standard account so not Power or Pro.

My private galleries are being uploaded now but are organised with the gallery name of YYYY/MM/DD with the file names as YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.jpg. So it is possible I will end up with 40-50 galleries for each year. I have considered organising them as Category=YYYY and Subcategory=Month but what I really want is to simply have a link from an individual photo to a separate gallery.

I am uploading them as we speak so I hope I dont have to restart the upload in order to organise these in a different manner.

Cheers
    That seems like a lot of work. Have you tried our Timeline feature?
    http://killian.smugmug.com/date/
  • cedricdcedricd Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 29, 2006
    Hopefully this isn't hijacking the thread, but I'd be curious to see how keyword galleries work, since Andy has offered to explain. I am a Power user.
    edited November 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    That seems like a lot of work. Have you tried our Timeline feature?
    http://killian.smugmug.com/date/
    yeah, looked at the timeline feature and it only addresses public galleries.

My pictures were all automatically renamed using a linux utility called jhead which extracts the exif date the image was taken and renames the file to the date format. Using F-spot as my image/album management program it creates the directory structure as described. So then using sm_tool.py to upload I use the full_update option to upload the whole directory stucture.

My goal however is to then select various images ONLY to share via public galleries. The majority of images I want to remain private.

I could just create another copy of the image I want to share or make public but then I would be using up extra disk space ( I know disk space is not counted but it would matter to someone ) and also have version control issues with two copies.

[edit] - would need to make a 2nd copy first then move the image in order to achive the above.

Ideal solution would be to be able to create a link from an image to another gallery rather than simply copy which I can do right now.
  • encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    @ canter690 : I like your thinking... And can totally agree with what you're trying to do and how you're trying to do it... I'm looking for something similar but kinda the reverse - password protecting / hiding certain images in any gallery... You can password protect whole galleries, but not individual files... At the moment I have to move these images out of the gallery into a separate hidden one... So not ideal when you've got loads galleries already!
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    cedricd wrote:
    Hopefully this isn't hijacking the thread, but I'd be curious to see how keyword galleries work, since Andy has offered to explain. I am a Power user.

It's not exactly what Andy means by a keyword gallery, but one thing you can do is something like this.
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    cedricd wrote:
    You need to be a power user... This thread has the code
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27076

I have it working on my site... 3 of the 4 "featured" galleries are actually keyword url's. (mouse over or click on them to see the url)
    http://dmcpics.smugmug.com/
  • jdjdjdjdjdjd Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I don't think that keywords will work with a private gallery.

-- jeff
    edited December 4, 2006
    jdjdjd wrote:
    I don't think that keywords will work with a private gallery.

-- jeff
    Yep - keywords don't work with private galleries. Begining to think that this just isn't possible and this thread should end up in the feature request bin.

Thinking my all my uploads are going to remain private for some time. :cry
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    canter690 wrote:
    Yep - keywords don't work with private galleries. Begining to think that this just isn't possible and this thread should end up in the feature request bin.

Thinking my all my uploads are going to remain private for some time. :cry

oops forgot about that... We've had a long standing request to separate the keyword functionality from the private/password security issue. I've been wanting to just put an account password on my site, but I don't want to loose my keyword capabilities... I wish they would fix this.
    edited December 4, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    I wish they would fix this.
    Hi dmc, I know you don't mean "fix" because it's not broken... We've heard you and others about this feature request though.

Thanks!