Advising clients on what to wear in family group shots

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited November 30, 2006 in People
If one more person asks me this I am going to scream.

Instead, I think I need to build a page on my website to advise. Then I can scream a little quieter as I send them this link when I get the inevitable phone call or email sure to generate more replies and questions.

Do any of you have rules of thumb you would recommend I include, or know of examples of these types of advisory pages?

(Obviously I tend to beat around the bush and not get to the point, so I'm hoping to avoid continuing to do that to my clients):D
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Is this a question? What is the question?
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    Is this a question? What is the question?

sorry, i was rambling, edited OP and posed a question....
    Canon 5D MkI
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    No plaids!!

I prefer colors that are flattering to the individual, ( but I also prefer groups with the same color shirts or blouses.)

Most ladies know if their complexion is a winter, a spring, or a summer or fall. If you know their season, picking colors for them can be rather easy. - http://www.thesoko.com/thesoko/article742.html

Guys may need a clue, but the same advice applies.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 28, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    No plaids!!

I prefer colors that are flattering to the individual, ( but I also prefer groups with the same color shirts or blouses.)

Most ladies know if their complexion is a winter, a spring, or a summer or fall. If you know their season, picking colors for them can be rather easy. - http://www.thesoko.com/thesoko/article742.html

Guys may need a clue, but the same advice applies.

Good advice...thanks!
    My most challenging conversation is how to advise on group family shots. All one color/complimentary colors/the issue of white and black/ etc. How do others approach this question?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    I'm in the early stages of portrait work (i.e. free!), but I've read a lot about it and here are some of the suggestions I've seen:

*Sticking with the same tones -- light, medium, dark -- and complementary colors
    *No busy patterns (detracts from their faces)
    *Matching -- like white t-shirts, jeans (supposed to show unity -- I myself prefer non-matching clothes though)
    *Darker is better for B&W
    *Neutral colors/no patterns/stripes/prints -- more timeless
    *Bright/funky colors can be fun (at least for individual shots)

What do you think looks best in your pictures and what do you like? I think writing something up for your clients would be very helpful (I need to do that, too).
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    You are welcome to check out my FAQ here: www.tippiepics.com/faq. That goes through what to wear and what not to and more....

I am eventually going to add photos as examples with links to more examples, but haven't had the time. One of these days! Laughing.gif!

HTH!

Oh, just so you know, I also send this out when I get a new booking. I don't actually provide a link on my main site for it. I give people a small packet of info (mail or PDF) and it includes this info along with a link to the info online.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    Direct your shoot like an art director would.
    Know your location?
    Know your lighting?
    Know your set?

Have the "models" show up with 3 wardrobe changes. This isn't so hard.

An easy way is to dictate part of the wardrobe, let's say "dark pants only" (black or navy blue) or... khaki (beige) pants only.

for tops, you know you want to avoid whites... so suggest they each bring 3 shirts in a color range...

pink, red, plum or blues to purples or yellows or whatever.

when everyone shows up you'll be able to stage the shot in a way that doesn't look too forced or phoney as many do when eveyone is wearing exactly the same thing.
    edited November 29, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Direct your shoot like an art director would.
    Know your location?
    Know your lighting?
    Know your set?

Have the "models" show up with 3 wardrobe changes. This isn't so hard. .

For a family shoot, which is what my issue is referring to specifically, you're assuming quite a bit here. For a family of 5 to bring 3 wardrobe changes is a little much.
    An easy way is to dictate part of the wardrobe, let's say "dark pants only" (black or navy blue) or... khaki (beige) pants only..

always recommend similar pants, blue jeans mostly b/c they are typically more casual shoots and they convert well to BW. This part is easy; similar tops for a wide range of ages, sizes and genders is a different story.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited November 29, 2006
    You are welcome to check out my FAQ here: www.tippiepics.com/faq. That goes through what to wear and what not to and more....

I am eventually going to add photos as examples with links to more examples, but haven't had the time. One of these days! Laughing.gif!

HTH!

Oh, just so you know, I also send this out when I get a new booking. I don't actually provide a link on my main site for it. I give people a small packet of info (mail or PDF) and it includes this info along with a link to the info online.

Very helpful Andi. I think sending the info out upon booking is a GREAT idea.

Thanks!

Lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Avoid "trendy" clothing
    No loud patterns, prints or graphics - solid colours are best
    Everyone in similar tones - medium to light OR medium to dark
    Everyone in similar colour tones - neutral to cool colours are best
    Consistency in style - casual, semi-formal, formal, etc.
    Eyeglasses - frames with no lenses if possible
    edited November 29, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    For a family shoot, which is what my issue is referring to specifically, you're assuming quite a bit here. For a family of 5 to bring 3 wardrobe changes is a little much.

always recommend similar pants, blue jeans mostly b/c they are typically more casual shoots and they convert well to BW. This part is easy; similar tops for a wide range of ages, sizes and genders is a different story.

If they expect great photos and you expect greater creative latitude I don't think it's too much to ask each family member to bring 3 shirts in a color range you've suggested.
    edited November 29, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    If they expect great photos and you expect greater creative latitude I don't think it's too much to ask each family member to bring 3 shirts in a color range you've suggested.

hmm, you may be right. Have you had success with this? I'd love to see a link to a gallery.
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited November 29, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    hmm, you may be right. Have you had success with this? I'd love to see a link to a gallery.

I don't shoot family portraits.

As an art director, while I may have staff available to perform these functions (such as wardrobe stylists) my intent was to offer you advice about how you might ease your concerns about this important issue.

When I pull together shoots I will direct a stylist to bring a certain volume of clothing in an array of styles and colors that fit the theme of the shoot. This is often done over the phone, with a list of models sizes, so you can imagine the degree of flexibility she has to build into the wardrobe selection, so the photographer has variety and flexibility.

You need not get as complicated as that, obviously.
    edited November 29, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    I don't shoot family portraits.

As an art director, while I may have staff available to perform these functions (such as wardrobe stylists) my intent was to offer you advice about how you might ease your concerns about this important issue.

When I pull together shoots I will direct a stylist to bring a certain volume of clothing in an array of styles and colors that fit the theme of the shoot. This is often done over the phone, with a list of models sizes, so you can imagine the degree of flexibility she has to build into the wardrobe selection, so the photographer has variety and flexibility.

You need not get as complicated as that, obviously.

I certainly appreciate your perspective. Thanks for your feedback!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    I think you need to find out EXACTLEY what type of photos your clients want. After all these are life long memories for them. Knowing what they want, you then can go from there in advising what clothing they should wear.

ie, fun outdoor thing, casual clothes etc , formal family portait, casual ,smart - dressie etc.

Rule number one, ask questions. Laughing.gif I can be a client from hell, last time we had family portaits done, knowing exactley what i wanted etc. But then I guess that takes half the guess work away from the photogpher & the session will run smoothy.
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village