The order of editing in PS

smuggersmugger Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited December 2, 2006 in Finishing School
Is there a general order to editing one should follow in PS? i.e. crop first, then color, then sharpen? Should I dodge and burn before I color correct? Can I stamp after I do everything? Sometimes I do things as I see it on the fly and wondering if I should have a set order to do edits.

I am going to try to take a PS class soon, I was recommended to take a course from betterphoto.com...
~smugger

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    smugger wrote:
    Is there a general order to editing one should follow in PS? i.e. crop first, then color, then sharpen? Should I dodge and burn before I color correct? Can I stamp after I do everything? Sometimes I do things as I see it on the fly and wondering if I should have a set order to do edits.

I am going to try to take a PS class soon, I was recommended to take a course from betterphoto.com...

A long, long time ago Pathfinder made a great post in response to a similar set of questions. Path's post is here.

Path's post is still valid today. Including the part about taking a look at some of the Scott Kelby photoshop books. Even with a PS class under your belt you'll still find Kelby's books a valuable resource.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    :D:D:D

You're making me sound even older than I am, Cletus!!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • smuggersmugger Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thanks guys this is very helpful! I actually have Kelby's book (the one he wrote for photoshop 7 b/c that is what I am using right now), but I have been just looking up things and doing them as I thot of them in no particular order. And then novice that I am, I would explore and play around with other functions to see what they could do. I found sometimes I would negate some of the pp steps I had done before but I didn't know why.

I'll try to get a bigger picture from his book abt the whole process so I can improve. I really like his writing so it's not so cumbersome to go through....
    ~smugger
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    I'm just dusting off PS for the first time in a long while... thanks for bringing this back up. thumb.gif
    --Kres