Whitebalance off your hand

Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
edited November 28, 2006 in Technique
Howdy!

I know I've read it somewhere but can't seem to find it here:

What was the trick to get an estimate white
balance off your palm? Shoot palm and add/sub-
ststact 1,5 stops to get close to 18% grey?

Help on this very welcome!
“To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
― Edward Weston

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Help on this very welcome!

It's not white balance, rather it's exposure. Many folks hold to the maxim that your hand will be like 18% gray, so it's a good place to meter off of. YMMV. It's all affected by angle of light, angle of palm, skin color, and more.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's not white balance, rather it's exposure. Many folks hold to the maxim that your hand will be like 18% gray, so it's a good place to meter off of. YMMV. It's all affected by angle of light, angle of palm, skin color, and more.

Thanks for bringing in the light Andy! thumb.gif

I can already see myself spending 40$
    on a Whibal Pocket (which I fell love
    with). But then there are those ppl
    who spend 50$ on a giant plastic cup
    to mount it on their flashes ...

http://revivalartsstudio.com/blog/wp-images/gfs5.jpg

... I'm feeling guitly about them 40$ ! :D

/note to self: read stuff on photography more carefuly
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Getting accurate exposure off your hand is worth praticing before you need it. Hold your hand so it is facing roughly half way between the direction of the light and the direction of the lens and spot/partial meter off of it. Depending on your skin tone you will need up to a stop (or maybe more) of exposure compensation. Unless you spend lots of time in the tanning salon your hand is likely to be fairly consistant in tone so you can do a few experiments and learn the right number. The easiest way is spot meter off your hand and a grey card and note the difference in exposure.