Making a Desktop Background for Computer

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited November 29, 2006 in People
Just wanted some C & C on this shot. It was a full torso shot of my daughter but I cropped it, and then cropped some more. :) I'm trying to learn good composition, and I think this works because somehow, it's pleasing to my eye, and leaves an open area for the desktop icons without "stepping on" her face. What do you think?

P.S. - I was going to make her skin tone warmer, but it wouldn't be realistic - she's very fair-skinned and I always try to "keep it real..." :)

113488919-M.jpg

Comments

• mghanermghaner Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Nice fo sur
    I really like the shot. It looks like you captured her as she is and not some contrived pose as so many are. My youngest one is also very vey fair skined as well, down right Pale is the more acurate term. I like the way you did the crop so that you dont end up with icons all over her face and head. I think it is great for what you are going to use it for. Now just get a good group of natural shots to set up as a running slideshow screen saver. I dug and dug and then did some photoshop and ended up with about 40 various pics of the kids at different ages and used that for my screen saver slide show BG. It looks real cool and always draws comments from those that see it. Keep on shooting you have a great subject for sure.
    "I feel way more like I do right now then I did earlier today"
    http://www.mikehaner.blogspot.com

• bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Thank you! It's amazing the range of facial expressions kids can make. Our kids can make us crack up at any given moment - there really is nothing like having kids, and I remind myself how lucky I am to have two healthy ones and a wonderful wife.

I think the reason why kids are so photogenic is because they are not tainted (yet) by this world - they express themselves wholeheartedly without reservation with no regards to political correctness or social norms. Just pure emotion. THAT'S the main reason I'm into photography - to capture my kids like that before they grow up and be all adult-like and stuff...
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Crop the other arm off (Whoa that sounded weird). Ok...since I'm looking at it this way...you can't see her left arm...so go ahead and crop the right arm off too. Lots of dead space to the right of her.

JMHO...for what its worth.ne_nau.gif
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Seneca wrote:
    Crop the other arm off (Whoa that sounded weird). Ok...since I'm looking at it this way...you can't see her left arm...so go ahead and crop the right arm off too. Lots of dead space to the right of her.

JMHO...for what its worth.ne_nau.gif

Hi Seneca,

I did that on purpose, since this is a computer desktop background. This is so my desktop icons don't cover her face. If it were a regular photo, then I'd agree with you and would probably make it portrait instead of landscape. Thanks for commenting!