Help with cropping!

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited November 30, 2006 in People
I have a customer that just purchased this image in 8x10 and I have uploaded a 4x6 ratio. Now their feet are just barely being cut off.... Because I need to reupload (with all the edits that haven't been done yet) and have the opportunity to fix the crop, I want to get your feedback. How should have I this recropped for them? One of the below? Something different?

Option 1 (this is cropped to the very bottom of the original):
113592665-M.jpg

Or option 2:
113592683-M.jpg

Or do YOU have an option 3?

Oh, and don't worry! I'll be PSing out that fence and more.... I was *almost* really happy with this shot, but the backgrounds around here were horrible. Ugh.

Thanks so much! (And sorry I haven't been around. LOTS of company and many photoshoots and orders (yay!) to edit!)

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Personally, I like #2 better - I'm not bothered by the way they are cut off on the edges, and they really are focus of the photo. In the first crop, I don't like all that background - the large tree trunks, without seeing the tree tops, don't really add anything for me.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Given the restriction of an 8x10, I also think the second crop is the winner. The amputation is not that big a deal. Getting rid of the excess tree trunks is much more important. And, with crop #2, you are getting the people back in as the focus of the photograph. In the first crop, the background really dominated the image, especially the very bright (blown?) sky behind the trees.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 29, 2006
    Given the restriction of an 8x10, I also think the second crop is the winner. The amputation is not that big a deal. Getting rid of the excess tree trunks is much more important. And, with crop #2, you are getting the people back in as the focus of the photograph. In the first crop, the background really dominated the image, especially the very bright (blown?) sky behind the trees.

15524779-Ti.gif There isn't anything terribly interesting about their feet. Much better to have their faces more prominent and less background above.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thanks so much, all! I really appreciate your feedback! :D That's how I was leaning, but wanted to make sure that you all felt the same.

Thanks!
  • ZoeZoe Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Tell them to get a 10x20 instead. :D
    Zoe (Nikon toys)
    zb Photography
    Blog
  • RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    Go 8x12
    I have a customer that just purchased this image in 8x10 and I have uploaded a 4x6 ratio. Now their feet are just barely being cut off.... Because I need to reupload (with all the edits that haven't been done yet) and have the opportunity to fix the crop, I want to get your feedback. How should have I this recropped for them? One of the below? Something different?

Or do YOU have an option 3?

Oh, and don't worry! I'll be PSing out that fence and more.... I was *almost* really happy with this shot, but the backgrounds around here were horrible. Ugh.

Thanks so much! (And sorry I haven't been around. LOTS of company and many photoshoots and orders (yay!) to edit!)

I would go 8x12. I really don't like the legs getting cut off.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-