another Christmas picture

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited November 29, 2006 in People
Well...today I took some shots of a 9 month old. My son is 5 and I've forgotten how wiggly that age is! Anyway, here is one of the shots I liked best. I had to use flash because the natural light wasn't enough to compensate for child movement. Once again, I'm looking for feedback, especially regarding color and skin tones, etc...

Thanks!

113645733-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    I think you did a great job with flash! It's not harsh at all....she's adorable! :saurora
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    The skin tone was a bit reddish but otherwise a very good effort. Again, very natural reaction but than again very young children are like that clap.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    The skin tone was a bit reddish but otherwise a very good effort. Again, very natural reaction but than again very young children are like that clap.gif

Thanks, Ted! I was thinking the same thing. Can you tell me what you did to tone down the red?
    Elaine

• Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Elaine, I've used a commercial plugin Nik Color Fx - Pro Contrast.

However, the simples way in Photoshop is to do Image/Adjustments/Variations
    You can adjust granularity of change and than play with different colour mixes until you are happy. Very simple to use and the feedback is instant.

Elaine wrote:
    Thanks, Ted! I was thinking the same thing. Can you tell me what you did to tone down the red?
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Beautiful picture! You did a great job with your flash -- how did you do it? I think you said you only have an on-camera flash? -Kate
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thanks for the help, Ted!

Kate...yes, I only have my on-camera flash. I took Ted's advice and shot manual (yea for me!)...not sure I did everything exactly right, but I learned that underexposing is probably better than overexposing. I used ISO 200, 1/60 sec, f/3.5, and turned my flash all the way down to -2. I probably should have turned the flash back up some, as it was underexposed, but using levels brightened it up nicely. I was just glad it didn't come out with that harsh, flat, flashed look. Thanks for asking!

Elaine
    Elaine

• NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Wow. Wonderful shot. Your other shot is beautiful too but this must've been more challenging.

I agree that you could tone down the red. But I'd also add a warming filter to bring back the glow you captured with your son.

Good job. I'm taking pictures of a 1-yr-old tomorrow and you've inspired me. :)
    edited November 29, 2006
    Nandita wrote:
    Wow. Wonderful shot. Your other shot is beautiful too but this must've been more challenging.

I agree that you could tone down the red. But I'd also add a warming filter to bring back the glow you captured with your son.

Good job. I'm taking pictures of a 1-yr-old tomorrow and you've inspired me. :)

Thank you very much! You're right...this shot was more challenging! Good luck with your 1-year old. :D
    Elaine

edited November 29, 2006
    OK...I think I've toned down the red...what do you think? Is it toned down enough? I'm also including a couple other favorites from the shoot.
    Thanks for all the feedback!!

113707299-M.jpg

113650058-M.jpg

113707054-M.jpg

This last one we were letting her take a break and just play around, but I grabbed my camera and snapped this. The background is my rug and I'm not sure if I should do something with it...desaturate it or black it out? Any thoughts? Is it distracting??
    Elaine

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Distracting? Not in the least.