Options

Embedded Slideshows

wschwartzwschwartz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
I've been playing around a bit with the API the last day or so and I think I came up with a few good ideas. I'm not sure if anyone has done anything like this yet and I wanted to throw it out there.

I always had this idea of an extremely simple, embedded slideshow. It could be placed on any webpage, blog, anywhere, and at first looks like a simple image. When you click it though, it advances to the next picture in the set. Very fast and very simple. No flash, no plugins, no waiting.

Here's what I have so far. This is only after a few hours of development and I haven't tested it on any other browsers except windows/ie. I know it will not work in Mozilla, etc yet. This will take a gallery id as a parameter in the query string and could be used for any gallery. (the one in the example is a random one i found on SM)

For people (including me) who complain about the sometimes slow speed, or clunky interface of SM, theres a lot of cool things you can do with caching, and XMLHTTP to make it faster in a scenario like this.

What does everyone think? Am I reinventing the wheel here?

http://www.dnsinteractive.com/smtest_gallery.asp

Comments

• Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    wschwartz wrote:
    I've been playing around a bit with the API the last day or so and I think I came up with a few good ideas. I'm not sure if anyone has done anything like this yet and I wanted to throw it out there.

I always had this idea of an extremely simple, embedded slideshow. It could be placed on any webpage, blog, anywhere, and at first looks like a simple image. When you click it though, it advances to the next picture in the set. Very fast and very simple. No flash, no plugins, no waiting.

Here's what I have so far. This is only after a few hours of development and I haven't tested it on any other browsers except windows/ie. I know it will not work in Mozilla, etc yet. This will take a gallery id as a parameter in the query string and could be used for any gallery. (the one in the example is a random one i found on SM)

For people (including me) who complain about the sometimes slow speed, or clunky interface of SM, theres a lot of cool things you can do with caching, and XMLHTTP to make it faster in a scenario like this.

What does everyone think? Am I reinventing the wheel here?

http://www.dnsinteractive.com/smtest_gallery.asp

That's pretty cool! :D Not sure who might use it, but I could see something like that being fantastically useful in a blog, etc.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    That is pretty neat, took me a while to figure out how to make it 'go'.

By the way, this does not work as you intended in Firefox. When I saw it first in Firefox, I was really not sure what the point is, since it puts all the photos on the screen in a very long row. IE works the way you intended, so if others want to check it out, IE is required.
  • Options
    wschwartzwschwartz Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    That is pretty neat, took me a while to figure out how to make it 'go'.

By the way, this does not work as you intended in Firefox. When I saw it first in Firefox, I was really not sure what the point is, since it puts all the photos on the screen in a very long row. IE works the way you intended, so if others want to check it out, IE is required.

Yeah - I wrote that it does not work in Mozilla (Firefox) yet. I'll do that eventually though. Now I'm trying to get the damn thing to work on my Wordpress blog. Wordpress doesnt seem to like you doing things with DHTML and XMLHTTP. I'll get it though.