Sugestions/help needed... (w/ pics)

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited December 1, 2006 in Technique
ok, First of all I have been playing around with a Rebel XTi And a 20D at the store and found out that my POS Lumix FZ20 is THE biggest PITA to focus! I was so astounded with the overall function of the DSLR Rebel XTi and the 20D that I almost cannot use my Lumix anymore. ...DANG IT! I need to upgrade BAD!

Anyway, I was on my way to my cousin's yesterday, and took the scenic route. There was this hill that I have been wanting to shoot for a WHILE now. So I finally had a chance to stop and take some pictures...

2003744306952914593_rs.jpg

2003712333980023575_rs.jpg

2003723445571779363_rs.jpg

I was using MF in full Manual. I TRIED to focus tword the very end off the road. Now, on my POS shutterbox, there is no real time view thru the lense....It's thru the processor and when you focus it goes to this pixilised Focus screen. VERY hard to tell what's in focus, because of the screen resolution. The viewfinder is no better, it actually MUCH worse! terrible resolution.. For as long as I've had this camera, I have figured out what is focused and what is not... -as far as camera operations go.... but when I get them on to the computer, NOTHING IS IN FOCUS!... I was reading the Back Focus thread, that makes sense, but whey would it do it on MF? :bash

Here's the specs on the shots...

All were using the same ISO, WB, f and shutter speed.

f8.0 (too far?)
Shutter- 1/15
ISO 80 (shoulda been higher. I didn't think of it till after... but I have a bad noise problem at anything higher than 200)
WB- Cloudy
Color effect in one pic...

Sugestions... Please!.... If you tell me I need to upgrade that will make the most sense!

This last one I will throw in here for tips as far as overall composure. Good? Bad? I was told I center things. How can I avoid this?

2003708814289951400_rs.jpg

Thanx a LOT! I appreciate all the help I can get.
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited November 30, 2006
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:

Sugestions... Please!.....

Don't panic. The first two shots don't look that bad to me. If you were shooting handheld, 1/15 sec is likely to give you some camera motion blur, and that might be what you are seeing. Were you using a tripod? If so, you might just try letting the camera autofocus do its thing. I never could use manual focus on the LCD of my P&S. Just wasn't high enough resolution to tell me anything.

Cheers,
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I never could use manual focus on the LCD of my P&S. Just wasn't high enough resolution to tell me anything.
    15524779-Ti.gif Before my first DSLR I could never rely on the LCD screen of my Kodak Z740 of Cybershot camera. It's just a low res rendering of what you are really seeing. DON'T TRUST THIS VIEW!

Break out the ol tripod and decrease your f stop even more (Make the F numbers go higher) and increase the shutter speed to compensate. This will give you a dramatically greater Depth Of Field (DOF) and help get that clear shot your looking for.

Hint when shooting and don't have a cool remote or cable release (like me):
    Compose your shot and get everything dialed in and then set your camera to shoot a timed shot. This gives you a second to get away from the camera and make sure the camera is completely stable before shooting.
    You'll be surprised how even the slightest touch when letting your hand off the shutter button can shake the camera enough to give you more blur than you want.
    Good Luck.

Cheers.
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    f8.0 is the highest stop I can go on my camera... I know it's not the best, I'm dying to get a new one. I was not using a tripod, I forgot it back in NM. (I'm home in CT right now, on leave).. Usually I'll gently press the shutter and leave my finger on it until the camera has finished taking the pic. (w/o the use of burst, obviously)

I think Lumix offers a remote shutter release, but I'm not sinking money into this camera. I can't even change lenses w/o dismantling the camera.

Thanx yall.
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • manta1900manta1900 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    I own myself a Lumix FZ20. It has a "sweet spot" that if you follow for daylight you will be impressed (and forget upgrading). Aperture Priority, f5.6, Exposure minus two ticks, ISO 80. Try it... I hope it works for you too.
    edited December 1, 2006
    Ow.... I almost forgot. Try shooting clouds with these settings. eek7.gif
  • firstdraft33firstdraft33 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Great Tip
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Hint when shooting and don't have a cool remote or cable release (like me):
    Compose your shot and get everything dialed in and then set your camera to shoot a timed shot. This gives you a second to get away from the camera and make sure the camera is completely stable before shooting.
    You'll be surprised how even the slightest touch when letting your hand off the shutter button can shake the camera enough to give you more blur than you want.
    Good Luck.

Cheers.

bowdown.gif This is a great tip, Thanks
    edited December 1, 2006
    ...also if you shoot on tripod (or timed shot on place) disable the image stabilizer (another step to perfection).