Starting down the digital road

CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited December 1, 2006 in Cameras
Well.....today I finally took the step into world of digital photography. I've been into film photography for a while, and have even made a few bux doing some b & w portait stuff for family, friends, and coworkers. Every time I've tried using color film, it looked horrible. So I stuck with b & w which looked really good on my handmedown 20 yr old Canon T50.

Up until today I had $0 in equipment. I spose that an amateur who gets photos like this http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5137838 out of a free camera should be happy, but I long for a little crisper, higher quality range of possibilities. Therefore I set out to research and compare the choices out there and eventually get a decent digital to assist me in taking things to the next level. After about 3 months of research I made my decision.

Today I ordered a Canon Rebel XTI 400D. Keeping in mind that most of what I do is still life and portrait, I purchased Canon 28-105mm and Canon 75-300mm lenses along with it. I guess the reason I am posting is to get opinions on my choice of camera and lenses. I know some people are die hard nikon etc fans, but that stuff aside, I'd like to know what else I might need to acquire to assist me on my journey towards excellence in digitality. Thanks for your time.

I use only Canon cameras and glass
www.portraitwhisperer.com

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    I too recently picked up the Rebel XTi. It is my first DSLR. So far I am highly enjoying it.

Let me know how you like those lenses with it, as I can't afford a lenses after the purchase of the cameara, so until I pay off the camera a bit, I'll be using the kit lens...

...which leaves plenty of time for research so that when I do get a lens it will be a nice one :)
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2006
    Well I'm one of those Nikon guys, but I think a 50 1.8 (under 100 bucks new) would be ideal for portraits. But mainly just go out and have fun with your new camera! thumb.gif
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    UT Scott wrote:
    Well I'm one of those Nikon guys, but I think a 50 1.8 (under 100 bucks new) would be ideal for portraits. But mainly just go out and have fun with your new camera! thumb.gif

I am a Canon guy and have an XTi (400D). I can definately say the 50 1.8 is definately an awesome lens for its price. Here is a sample taken at f/1.8...

enjoy the camera!

325i_085.jpg