Options

Ch 79 - Waiting for the Bus

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited December 4, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
What do you think? Got this shot while I was waiting for the bus myself...

114020351-L.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    manta1900manta1900 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Nice one. But... may I suggest improvements?
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    manta1900 wrote:
    Nice one. But... may I suggest improvements?

Thanks for the improvements.

I can see how your suggested crop improves the composition, and looking at the original post compared to your edits my white balance looks way too warm now. It also looks like you darkened the image a bit. Am I missing anything?
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Cool shot and I like the adjustments.

I only wonder if those adjustments are considered too much PS for the challenge?
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Quitarita wrote:
    Cool shot and I like the adjustments.

I only wonder if those adjustments are considered too much PS for the challenge?

I think the croping is more than 10%, but I might be able to get away with the other PS adjustments.
    Andrew

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    I do like the shot. The people are moving a little too much for me to get the sences of "waiting" though.
    Mabey crop in on the guy beside the light post a little more?

Just my .02
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    I like the shot, too Greenpea. thumb.gif It is a really good idea for the challenge. The movement doesn't bother me. Pacing is a common activity of people waiting for the bus, especially if it is cold out.

The white balance correction is an improvement to my eye, but not necessary. That golden glow says "night shot" to me. If it were my photo, I would crop a bit from the bottom while staying within the 10% limit. Thematically, I like seeing the crosswalk, but from a compositional point of view, the amount of pavement throws the picture a bit off balance to my eye.

If you have the opportunity, you might want to try a reshoot. The idea is really good and worth the effort to kick it up a notch. I'll bet you could get a really good capture that truly needs almost no post correction!

Good luck.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    great interpretation thumb.gifthumb......I think if you shot as RAW you could get most of the adjustments done in ACR....and have to do much if any in PS....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    manta1900manta1900 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    Thanks for the improvements.

I can see how your suggested crop improves the composition, and looking at the original post compared to your edits my white balance looks way too warm now. It also looks like you darkened the image a bit. Am I missing anything?

The only thing you are missing is a minor sharpening... Good luck... you have a very good photo.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments.

I had mostly given up on the concept and tried going in a totally different direction, but I'm thinking I might just try and re-shoot this. It was taken just outside my office, so it wouldn't be a problem to re-shoot. The original was a 5s exposure with a 50mm, I might shorten the exposure and try 85mm or 105mm.
    Andrew

• Options
    nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I like the adjusted version which has some necessary corrections