Options

Istanbul: street scenes

BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
edited December 18, 2006 in Journeys
I attended a math conference in Istanbul in July, and took LOTS of pics while I was there (I've only just finished editing them!). Istanbul is an absolutley amazing city, really worth visiting.

All the pics were taken with the Sigma 18-125mm lens (I only took one lens on the trip).

Gallery

The Marmara Hotel, where the conference was held. On the day the conference started, the funicular to the sea was opened (hence the festive looking foreground).
98881785-M.jpg

The hotel we stayed in: Cartoon Hotel. The decor of the hotel followed a Disney theme.
98881786-M.jpg

Traffic chaos taken from the top of the Marmara Hotel
99150038-M.jpg

I found a street side pub where I took pics of the passing parade during lunch:
99371276-M.jpg

99371277-M.jpg

99371278-M.jpg

98898382-M.jpg

101926180-M.jpg

101926182-M.jpg

107762228-M.jpg

107762238-M.jpg

107771729-M.jpg

Student protest against nuclear power:
98898989-M.jpg

One road is closed to traffic (Istiklal Caddesi) and has been turned into a giant shopping mall. I have never seen so many people in one place at one time. The road is about 2km long and was always full of people, regardless of the time of day.
101672697-M.jpg

107535056-M.jpg

110883049-M.jpg

Street vendors:
107535053-M.jpg

110712264-M.jpg

110712259-M.jpg

Miscellaneous street scenes:
Independence Monument:
107552082-M.jpg

Vapour trails/clouds:
107552091-M.jpg

These cop bikes made an interesting pattern:
107552087-M.jpg

Cheers was never supposed to look like this :rofl
103437062-M.jpg

A tourist travelling device:
102871455-M.jpg

Bikers:
107535049-M.jpg

A pub on Istiklal Caddesi:
110712266-M.jpg

A street in the suburb of Sultanahmet:
103437061-M.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this short trip to Istanbul! I will try to do another thread on some of the tourist attractions of the city.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Great series al..i really enjoyed looking thumb.gif
  • Options
    illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Never been to Istanbul but it looks beautiful by your photos thumb.gif .
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2006
    Thanks Gus & Mark!

Mark: it is truly amazing. I wouldn't mind spending a whole lot more time there - it's also cheap when compared to the rest of Europe.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    I've never been to Istanbul, but one of my best friends is from Turkye and always wants me to go there with him. I've already promised to go, and this kind of story sure helps in wanting to.

On a related note: let's see if this topic brings out a lurking Dgrin member I know, who is a big Istanbul fan as well. Seeing this title, I think he'll watch this thread. wave.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    BigAl wrote:
    These cop bikes made an interesting pattern:
    107552087-M.jpg

BMW R1200GSs. . . . Totally cool; I'm impressed. BMW has a strong command of the police market, but it's usually their RT sporttouring model or one of their F650s. Mind if I cross-post your photo to another board? I think they'd get a kick out of it. thumb.gif

All very cool photos by the way, an interesting urban study.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I've never been to Istanbul, but one of my best friends is from Turkye and always wants me to go there with him. I've already promised to go, and this kind of story sure helps in wanting to.

On a related note: let's see if this topic brings out a lurking Dgrin member I know, who is a big Istanbul fan as well. Seeing this title, I think he'll watch this thread. wave.gif
    I can recommend it, I could get away with around 6 euros for lunch at the pub I mentioned, and that included a beer and all the pretty girls on view mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    BMW R1200GSs. . . . Totally cool; I'm impressed. BMW has a strong command of the police market, but it's usually their RT sporttouring model or one of their F650s. Mind if I cross-post your photo to another board? I think they'd get a kick out of it. thumb.gif

All very cool photos by the way, an interesting urban study.
    Thanks for your comment! And you're welcome to cross post the pic (just link back to this thread).
  • Options
    EyefulEyeful Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    marlof wrote:

HA HA Marlof, you caught me here. rolleyes1.gif

And allright, I'll delurk bij showing one of my favourite pictures from Istanbul. Not to hijack this thread, but just as a tribute to a very old and beautiful city like Byzantium, Constantinople or Istanbul.

Guards in front of the Dolmabahce palace. The last palace of the Sultans and the place where Attaturk, the founder of the modern Turkish state, died.
    18914708-M.jpg
  • Options
    EyefulEyeful Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    BTW your pictures are lovely and make me want to go back to Istanbul (aganin) but this time Marlof will come along (as promised in this thread), together with our mutual friend.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    Eyeful wrote:
    BTW your pictures are lovely and make me want to go back to Istanbul (aganin) but this time Marlof will come along (as promised in this thread), together with our mutual friend.thumb.gif
    Well, I *do* hope you can convince them. I'd love to go again!

Don't worry about thread hijacking! I didn't get to Dolmabahce Palace (my wife did), but did get a pic from a ferry:
    109042082-M.jpg
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Eyeful wrote:

Ok, now you have my promise in writing. And I'm sure you'll know who to show this thread to, to add to the pressure. Not that there's much pressure needed, seeing and hearing all good things about Istanbul. Thanks for this thread, Big Al, I'm sure it helped in getting a few mates to visit that grand city.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Ok, now you have my promise in writing. And I'm sure you'll know who to show this thread to, to add to the pressure. Not that there's much pressure needed, seeing and hearing all good things about Istanbul. Thanks for this thread, Big Al, I'm sure it helped in getting a few mates to visit that grand city.
    You must go, especially since you have your own guide mwink.gif. Try to go in summer though. Here's a pic of the city walls built around 400AD. These people were already building monstrous structures while most of Europe was still in a fairly barbaric stage.

111043877-M.jpg
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2006
    Another lurker here, great series!
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2006
    20DNoob wrote:
    Another lurker here, great series!
    Thanks for your kind words!