Something Interesting

illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited December 4, 2006 in Sports
Today I went to the Coyotes game vs. the Kings. When the dancers came out on the ice a photographer came out with them obviously to take photos. Something weird that I realized, being a photographer and all is that he had a pocket wizard transmitter on his camera, I was stunned and did not understand why he had it on there. I watched him carefully and realized that flashes somewhere in the distance were firing. So I began to look up in the rafters to spot them. Soon I found them, there were actual strobes up in the rafters all around the arena that were firing everytime he took a photo, I couldn't believe it. There were about 12 or so strobes all up on the rafters. When the game continued I realized that another photographer was using them as well along with the photographer who was taking photos of the dancers and they had cut out holes where they could stick there lenses through. I learned alot about ice hockey photography today, just thought I would share it with you :D .
~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    yep..if you have money (or other peoples) you get better toys.
  • Sean KSean K Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Better bring a universal remote next time. :D
    Beautiful British Columbia
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Discovered the same thing a few weeks back at an Islander game. From the number of times they flashed, it looked like most of the pro photographers must have been tied in to them. In fact, one or two of my shots were horribly overexposed because the arena flash fired just the same time as I was shooting.
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    moose135 wrote:
    Discovered the same thing a few weeks back at an Islander game. From the number of times they flashed, it looked like most of the pro photographers must have been tied in to them. In fact, one or two of my shots were horribly overexposed because the arena flash fired just the same time as I was shooting.

I haven't done a hockey game but it's the same at basketball, I'll be sitting next to someone shooting with strobes and when I hear our shutters go at the same time (happens to be with all the big plays) I get that crazy blown out picture. eek7.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 2, 2006
    If you'd like to read more, Dave Black's got this for you.
    Arena Lighting .
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Sean K wrote:
    Better bring a universal remote next time. :D

If I was able to bring a camera with a bigger lens, I could probably just purchase a Pocketwizard transmitter go through the channels and use their strobes I'm guessing mwink.gif.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.