"Memory card error" ??

2»

Comments

• MrNvgtrMrNvgtr Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2005
    Very interesting stuff. Anyway, I have the same "memory card error" thing going on. This my second type of error in my almost two years of owning this camera. The first of which was called something like "A35" but don't remember exactly.

My question: Can someone provide the link to the firmware that you can download that might correct the problem? I've seen a link in some camera review somewhere that was almost spelled out phonetically because the website wouldn't let you post links in a review. I tried it but it didn't work for me. Can someone post the correct link here? If the firmware doesn't work, how does one reformat their card? Mine is just the 32 mB one that came with the camera. Thanks.

Michael
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 31, 2005
    The 512Mb card is SanDisk, the 32Mb card is Compactflash (which was bundled with the camera).

Somehow I doubt this is the issue. First, both of the cards can be read just fine by my laptop and both of the cards can not be read by my camera. Both cards worked just fine in the camera 5 days ago so it seems strange to me that somehow both of the cards failed in such a way that the camera can't read them but my laptop can. I just used the 512Mb card to transfer files from one computer to another, so it certainly works just fine.

I'll give your suggestion a shot once I figure out how to formal CF cards using Linux...
    Did you format the card while in the card reader connected to your laptop? That can sometimes cause an error. It did for me a couple of times but my camera salesman reformatted it at the shop and all was well again.
  • configurationspaceconfigurationspace Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Did you format the card while in the card reader connected to your laptop? That can sometimes cause an error. It did for me a couple of times but my camera salesman reformatted it at the shop and all was well again.

No. As I mentioned earlier, I did not format the card.

The card failure happened pretty much spontaneously. My 512Mb card was working fine. Then one day when I went to turn the camera on, and it didn't work. I got the standard "memory card error" message. The funny thing is, I got the same error message with my 32Mb card as well.

As I mentioned earlier, it's likely that both my cards took some "damage" from a hike I took with the camera where it was briefly exposed to -20C temperatures. The thing I don't understand is why my dad's A95 could format the memory cards, yet my A400 could not. I don't understand the error, and I don't understand the solution.
  • pastaman57pastaman57 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2005
    My experience with "Memory card error"
    No. As I mentioned earlier, I did not format the card.

The card failure happened pretty much spontaneously. My 512Mb card was working fine. Then one day when I went to turn the camera on, and it didn't work. I got the standard "memory card error" message. The funny thing is, I got the same error message with my 32Mb card as well.

As I mentioned earlier, it's likely that both my cards took some "damage" from a hike I took with the camera where it was briefly exposed to -20C temperatures. The thing I don't understand is why my dad's A95 could format the memory cards, yet my A400 could not. I don't understand the error, and I don't understand the solution.
    My PSS400 failed with the same "memory card error" while I was travelling in Japan, and I needed a camera. So I bought a new one, but I was quite disappointed since the "old" camera was just 1 year and 1 month old headscratch.gif. I called Canon and they suggest to drop it to them together with a check for $150.00 for repair. Then I find this forum and I thought that there may be something to do with dirt of some sort on the card reader pins. I reformatted the flash card with my new camera, then I blow some compressed air in the flash card receptacle, and now the camera is working! I wonder for how long, but the error disappeared, and the camera seems to be performing for now. I will keep you posted.thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    pastaman57 wrote:
    My PSS400 failed with the same "memory card error" while I was travelling in Japan, and I needed a camera. So I bought a new one, but I was quite disappointed since the "old" camera was just 1 year and 1 month old headscratch.gif. I called Canon and they suggest to drop it to them together with a check for $150.00 for repair. Then I find this forum and I thought that there may be something to do with dirt of some sort on the card reader pins. I reformatted the flash card with my new camera, then I blow some compressed air in the flash card receptacle, and now the camera is working! I wonder for how long, but the error disappeared, and the camera seems to be performing for now. I will keep you posted.thumb.gif

lol3.gif I guess that's why they say, try the simple solutions first!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    I sent my little sony point a shoot back to them and they said it could not be fixed so I took it apart. Next week I will see if I can put it back together.:uhohne_nau.gif

57438407-M.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    eek7.gif

:uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • MarcellaLMarcellaL Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2007
    Hi, I know this post had been posted a long time ago, but recently I found a solution for my s400 in a great tech support guy, just use their free live chat support.

Here is the page for Canon S400 Support

Good luck
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    ysr612 wrote:
    I sent my little sony point a shoot back to them and they said it could not be fixed so I took it apart. Next week I will see if I can put it back together.:uhohne_nau.gif

57438407-M.jpg

Well did you ever get it put back together??headscratch.gifhuh
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    MarcellaL wrote:
    Hi, I know this post had been posted a long time ago, but recently I found a solution for my s400 in a great tech support guy, just use their free live chat support.

Here is the page for Canon S400 Support

Good luck

Thanks for that link! thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums