Thanksgiving candids and one "pro" shot (6 shots)

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited December 4, 2006 in People
We had my hubby's family over for Thanksgiving and took a ton of snapshots and candids.... I was also requested by my mother-in-law and step-father-in-law to take a photo of them with all their grandkids.

I would love to take credit for wanting grain in this, but I had my camera set for shooting the other direction in the kitchen. I turned around and just shot this. And I ended up loving the grain!
113935657-M.jpg

We also went to a coffee shop and the light was wonderful (I have a few more to edit from then so you may see others later):
113934133-M.jpg

We also went cross country skiing and it was just gorgeous! (Is it cheating putting this here instead of sport? Sorry!)
113939947-M-1.jpg

And the actual "snapshot" with Mt Crested Butte in the background:
113940246-M-1.jpg

Ack! Who could that be? (The snow is a little blown, but it's pretty good for holding the camera away from me, eh? :D )
113940607-S-1.jpg

Finally, this is the grandchildren/grandparents shots. While I like trying overheard shots, I think this is too high. I actually PSed in the snow in the very top of the photo (you can tell a little around grampa's head). I would love comments overall, though, on this shot the most. I hate that I cut off hands, but oh, well. (That's a HUGE pet peeve for me.) Oh, and the crop is like that so that when they order, it can be cropped to the size they need. I'd crop MUCH closer if I didn't have to worry about ratios.

Thanks!

I swapped out 2 heads/faces in this shot. Can you tell which?
113957501-M-1.jpg

ANY CC is always welcome!

Comments

• Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    These are all wonderful shots! I particularly like the one of the child looking at the drawing/book. The grain on the first one is kinda neat. I'm slowly getting to like the look of these types of photos. :)

I love the group photo at the end. I think that I would like to have seen less of the snow covered ground at the top of the picture and more of where you cut the bodies off, but the quality is awesome.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    awesome shots, i especially like the first one! great emotions.
  • LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    Wonderful expressions in the first one. Nice capture.
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    clap.gif
    You should be proud of all of them! Beautiful! I love the candids and the last one has really intrigued me as well....

you cropped out heads??? I think i spot one...is it the older girl who is holding the child???

Great set, thanks for sharing!:D
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    Oh my gosh...how beautiful the snow looks on the trees. Thanks for sharing. You know candid shots are my favorite.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    Thank you so much, Dramatapix, jsedlak, LilleG and Seneca! I have been working on my candids and feel like I've come a long way! It's pretty fun - I'm really enjoying them!
    cdonovan wrote:
    clap.gif
    You should be proud of all of them! Beautiful! I love the candids and the last one has really intrigued me as well....

you cropped out heads??? I think i spot one...is it the older girl who is holding the child???

Great set, thanks for sharing!:D

Thanks so much! Here are the two photos for comparison. I wanted to use the first one as the "base" photo on which to place the heads (the limbs aren't as cut off), but I had a REALLY hard time getting things to line up without looking weird. Bummer!

113957312-S-2.jpg113957434-S-2.jpg

(I replaced the little boys head completely and replaced most of my curly headed daughter's head - she's on the left. I also PSed the snow and softened Grandma's face just *slightly* as per her request.)

Thanks again, everyone!!
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    I like the B&W's especially the cross country skiing shot. Great capture!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    I love the emotion you captured in the first shot and the snow in the cross country ski shot is beautiful.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    I swapped out 2 heads/faces in this shot. Can you tell which?
    113957501-M-1.jpg

ANY CC is always welcome![/quote]

Andi I love all your shots for different reasons. I think you are right about this shot being a little too high, but I am very impressed with your "head-swapping" skills! rolleyes1.gif I did not guess correctly. I actually thought it involved the grandparents, particularly the grandmother, as their bodies appear somewhat small for their heads due to the angle of the shot. It kept bugging me a little (especially being such a fun shot) that I made a minor "adjustment" of my own.....can you tell what I did?????

114490804-L.jpg

It's very minor, but I thought it made their body sizes not look so small in comparison to their heads. (Hint: I cloned under the arms to make the bodies appear not so thin...) Hope you don't mind...let me know and I will remove it if you wish!
    edited December 3, 2006
    Thanks so much, CarbonBased and DavidS. Skiing that day was amazing and I have tried so many times to capture that beauty and failed. It's nice to hear it came closer than I have before! Thanks!
    saurora wrote:
    Andi I love all your shots for different reasons. I think you are right about this shot being a little too high, but I am very impressed with your "head-swapping" skills! rolleyes1.gif I did not guess correctly. I actually thought it involved the grandparents, particularly the grandmother, as their bodies appear somewhat small for their heads due to the angle of the shot. It kept bugging me a little (especially being such a fun shot) that I made a minor "adjustment" of my own.....can you tell what I did?????

It's very minor, but I thought it made their body sizes not look so small in comparison to their heads. (Hint: I cloned under the arms to make the bodies appear not so thin...) Hope you don't mind...let me know and I will remove it if you wish!

Laughing.gif! You crack me up... I NEVER would have figured it out if you hadn't mentioned it!

As for the angle, I had professional photos done a few years ago (before deciding to do it for real myself) and she took a wonderful shot of me and my brothers from higher. I've been trying to replicate it, but haven't done it yet. I'm either too high or not high enough or something weird in the background.... etc., etc.

Anyway, thanks for your kind comments! :D
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I like the first 2 the best. Love the expressions in the first image!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited December 4, 2006
    tlee wrote:
    I like the first 2 the best. Love the expressions in the first image!

Thanks! I didn't even realize I *had* gotten it until i downloaded the photos! Laughing.gif! (I was trying to, but didn't get a chance to check.) Thanks!