Joy to the world, my XTi has come!

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited December 8, 2006 in Cameras
Now my toys have a centerpiece to hold them together!

Yay!!!

Okay, so after patiently (and grudgingly) waiting for the battery to charge, I put it all together and just started shooting at anything in front of me. Even though my CoolPix 8700 has manual capabilities, they aren't very user-friendly, so I never used them.

Man, what a difference! I played with aperture priority, shutter speed, ISO settings, and more in different combinations to see how it would affect the shot. I'm starting to see how it works. Like using a high speed with different ISO's--the pics would lighten or darken accordingly. I finally was able to see how shutter speed affects camera shake. I knew in theory how it worked, but having never set a low speed, couldn't understand it. Now I do.

But man, is it heavy! With the 430EX flash, battery grip, and 200mm zoom lens attached, this isn't something that's easy to toss around.

For anybody thinking about the battery grip--I didn't even use my camera without it. I love the way it feels. The XTi is a small body, and though I don't have ham fists, the extra hand-hold allotted by the grip does help, especially since the main body is covered with so many buttons, it gives a 'safe' place to grab.

Tomorrow's supposed to be a nice, clear day. I'm hoping to get out and take some shots to practice. My introduction to dSLR (though pricey) is turning out to be a fun experience.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far. I'm looking forward to learning more in the future.

Brad
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 2, 2006
    Brad,

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new equipment affects your images, and how you think about images.

(I hardly every go "Simon Cowell" on anyone. Nyuck nyuck nyuck.mwink.gif)

Contratulations and good shooting.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Congratulations! clap.gif

I am very much desiring the battery grip / 430ex! bowdown.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Great News
    Waiting for Photos clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    jbswear wrote:
    For anybody thinking about the battery grip--I didn't even use my camera without it. I love the way it feels. The XTi is a small body, and though I don't have ham fists, the extra hand-hold allotted by the grip does help, especially since the main body is covered with so many buttons, it gives a 'safe' place to grab.

Brad,

First of all, congratulations! You'll love that camera, as you already seem to.

I bought the battery grip yesterday at Canoga Camera in LA; I've been waiting patiently for months to get it. Did you know that Canon makes a handstrap for the camera/battery grip combo? Samy's has one on their website. That's really secure in your hand.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Okay, so I've basically decided to shoot only in RAW format to force myself to learn to use it.

How do I use it?

:D

Actually, I've got a few pics on the computer, and am now trying to figure out how to edit and manipulate them. Soon as I can figure it out, I'll post a coupla pics for you guys to trash!

Brad
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    jbswear wrote:
    Okay, so I've basically decided to shoot only in RAW format to force myself to learn to use it.

How do I use it?

Actually, I've got a few pics on the computer, and am now trying to figure out how to edit and manipulate them. Soon as I can figure it out, I'll post a coupla pics for you guys to trash!

Brad

Do yourself a favor, shoot RAW+jpeg until you figure out the RAW deal....pun intended. :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    jbswear wrote:
    Now my toys have a centerpiece to hold them together!

Yay!!!

Okay, so after patiently (and grudgingly) waiting for the battery to charge, I put it all together and just started shooting at anything in front of me.

Embrace digital and keep learning, I love and except all things that I am learning about digital. deal.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    jbswear wrote:

How do I use it?

Brad

The Canon software makes it pretty easy to work with the RAW images. I've been shooting Raw + Jpeg for a few weeks with that camera. Sucks up a lot of CF space, but as I've leared from reading here, being able to adjust RAW images later is invaluable. Originally, I had no plans on getting a battery grip, but recently have changed my mind. Also want a 580EX.

Enjoy!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    evoryware wrote:
    The Canon software makes it pretty easy to work with the RAW images. I've been shooting Raw + Jpeg for a few weeks with that camera. Sucks up a lot of CF space, but as I've leared from reading here, being able to adjust RAW images later is invaluable. Originally, I had no plans on getting a battery grip, but recently have changed my mind. Also want a 580EX.

Enjoy!

If you do and wish to sell the 430EX, I would be a very potential buyer pending price and if Santa has made one for me or not! thumb.gif That is if you choose to sell it... :P
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Hope you're enjoying the camera, looking forward to seeing what sort of pictures you get from it. I got my XTi during black friday weekend... been busy writing papers (yay grad school x.x) but whenever I have some spare moments I always enjoy playing around with the new toy.

When I have some more money to kill I am considering getting a battery grip... but for now, lenses, grips, flashes etc shall have to wait... gotta pay off the camera first, heh.

Post some pics when you get a chance!
  • cyclendocyclendo Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2006
    My XTi just arrived the other day as well, but unfortunately I had to send it home because I am in Canada still, so I don't get to play with it till I get home. But, I'm still super excited and looking foward to some intense photo sessions!

Good luck and happy shooting to everyone else who recently got new equipment.
    edited December 7, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Brad,

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new equipment affects your images, and how you think about images.

(I hardly every go "Simon Cowell" on anyone. Nyuck nyuck nyuck.mwink.gif)

Contratulations and good shooting.

ziggy53

I posted this pic in the Nature section. I've so far taken several hundred shots. This is the only real keeper that i like...But that's the great thing about digital--I'm not wasting money on film!

The owners of the dog like the pic so much they want to pay to have a large print of it made.

Neo, the wonderdog:

attachment.php?attachmentid=16112&stc=1&d=1165243529

Here's the original posting, with details of the settings and such used: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=48669 .

Looking at the shot, I do enjoy it, but I notice that the focal points don't cover the face of the dog too well. I notice a lot of softness towards the left side of the frame. Is this normal/acceptable? Should I try to avert it? Or does it add to the emphasis on the dog's "grin"?

Brad
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 7, 2006
    jbswear wrote:
    Looking at the shot, I do enjoy it, but I notice that the focal points don't cover the face of the dog too well. I notice a lot of softness towards the left side of the frame. Is this normal/acceptable? Should I try to avert it? Or does it add to the emphasis on the dog's "grin"?

Brad

I think I would like a bit more DOF, but more importantly you had great light and captured a wonderful expression.

I am extremely impressed that the owners wish to pay you for the image. That says a lot in itself.

Never question success!clap.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 8, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I think I would like a bit more DOF, but more importantly you had great light and captured a wonderful expression.

I am extremely impressed that the owners wish to pay you for the image. That says a lot in itself.

Never question success!clap.gif

ziggy53

No, no, no! They don't wanna pay me for it. They want to pay for having it printed. Laughing.gif Heck, I couldn't think of charging them for it. I do eventually hope to earn a bit of money with photography, but right now I'm learning and really wouldn't feel comfortable taking money from somebody for doing this. When I get better, and can plan these things, well, that's a different story.

Forgive my ignorance...But what does "DOF" mean? Distance Out of Focus? I've still got a long way to go to learn all the jargon. (Then again, I did use the word "bokeh" earlier today...)

Brad
    Semper fi,
    Brad