B&W help!

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited December 6, 2006 in Technique
As you know I now have the ipf5000 printer and I am working to get it dialed in. While I am getting closer, and don't have any doubts that I will have success. I could use a little help on the B&W prints.

What I am looking for is a GREAT B&W image to use as a test print. If anyone would be willing to allow me the short term use of an exceptional B&W image for this purpose, I can assure you I WILL respect your copyrights. Would like to keep one (1) print for reference, but would have no issue with destroying ALL prints once the calibration / technique is done. File will of course be deleted.

I have B&W files of my own, but after staring at multiple prints and variations thereof, I am not sure of my files. Hence this request.

Kebble & Shuchat has a great B&W image printed from the ipf5000, so I know it’s capable of great B&W prints. I may even go see if I beg and wine if they would lend me that file.

Sam

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2006
    Will this do? Let me know and I'll set a private gallery for you to download it.

35969344-L.jpg
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Hey Sam,

I took this today and wouldn't mind you practicing on it.

114288015-L.jpg

I'm curious myself as to what it will look like printed out. I was going to order a copy of it but if you want to practice on it go for it. If it works out and you decide to use it, possible to get a copy?

Let me know and I'll pass along the link to the original....
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Khaos,

This is just the kind of photo I had in mind. I already got another image from someone else, and it printed out great. Although my images (landscapes) are getting better i think I need to pay more attention to the post processing of my B&W images. Your image seems to have the look I envisioned. Deep skys, lots of tonal variation, shadows with detail. Over all dramatic look.

I would like to see how this prints.

I think with my own progress, the other image I received and this one I will be where I need to be.

Thanks,

Sam
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    As you know I now have the ipf5000 printer and I am working to get it dialed in. While I am getting closer, and don't have any doubts that I will have success. I could use a little help on the B&W prints.

What I am looking for is a GREAT B&W image to use as a test print. If anyone would be willing to allow me the short term use of an exceptional B&W image for this purpose, I can assure you I WILL respect your copyrights. Would like to keep one (1) print for reference, but would have no issue with destroying ALL prints once the calibration / technique is done. File will of course be deleted.

I have B&W files of my own, but after staring at multiple prints and variations thereof, I am not sure of my files. Hence this request.

Kebble & Shuchat has a great B&W image printed from the ipf5000, so I know it’s capable of great B&W prints. I may even go see if I beg and wine if they would lend me that file.

Sam

Sam, try this one, http://www.normankoren.com/Stepchart_large_color2.jpg It's a B&W stepchart works well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Sam, try this one, http://www.normankoren.com/Stepchart_large_color2.jpg It's a B&W stepchart works well.

Good idea....I'm surprised the printer did not come with a "test file" shot for calibrating. I imagine the manufacturer or the distributor could furnish you with a good example as well.
    edited December 4, 2006
    Carbon Based,

I was, with the help of two other D Grinners, able to determine that the issues I was having were more to do with my files than the printer. The printer can produce excelent B&W prints. Now it'a a matter of learning which papers, and tweaks to produce the very best quality prints that look like what I envision.

This does however look like a great B&W test image. How do I get the original? I would like to keep this in my arsenal.

That was quick! While I was typing this you edited your post and put the link in! Thanks.

Sam
    edited December 4, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Good idea....I'm surprised the printer did not come with a "test file" shot for calibrating. I imagine the manufacturer or the distributor could furnish you with a good example as well.

Sauroa,

While I am getting to really like this printer it does have some quirks, and to be quite frank, Canon's documentation for this product is, well, to be kind, horrible. On the plus side they give you a 1-800 to answer all the questions their documentation is lacking. (Actually non-existent is a better word.) I am positive Canon is aware of this embarsment, and I am sure working to correct it.

It seems like it would be a nice touch to provide a few test images, one color, and one B&W, but they may feel that this printer is geared for the more experienced, and they would therefore have their own, or easy access to test images.

Sam
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Sam, what I do is use the B&W test print (without altering it in any way) and use it with what ever paper your trying out.

I've an HP8750 and what I do is use the print and try different print driver/ICC profiles with it. I write each test info on the back of the print then I put the print in a sleave in a book. Then I can reference back too it.

The other thing I did was look for sample boxes from paper manufactures. They usually give you two sheets per paper type. Another low cost way is to pick up some 4x6 or in my case I like 5x7 paper before shelling out money for larger paper.

I do like Moab paper their Entrado Fine Art 190 Bright is great paper. Also I like the Ilford Galleria series.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com
    edited December 4, 2006
    Carbon Based,

I have a similar proceedure for testing paper. I wish the test print original size was larger than 4X6. I am pretty sure the smallest paper size I can use in the ipf5000 is 8.5 X 11. I rarely print at 4X6. I likes em bigger. mwink.gif

I have both Ilford smooth pearl, and smooth gloss, with profiles downloaded from Ilford for testing. I have tested the smooth pearl, and it looks good. I also have some Canon papers in rolls, (I haven't set the rolller up yet). The photo rag is made by Haneumule (sp), and the velvet is made by Somerset, as well as a Canon satin, Canon gloss, and Canon matte. So I think for right now I have all the paper choices I need, or can deal with. :D

Sam

ps: Got my D drive back! Yeah.......lost all data Boo.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Well it looks like you're really diving head first into getting your printer to work how you want it Sam. I have been researching printers lately and B&W seems to be the most difficult print to master. Have you been printing in pure B&W or using a color tint? Any problems with matamerism or bronzing?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited December 6, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Well it looks like you're really diving head first into getting your printer to work how you want it Sam. I have been researching printers lately and B&W seems to be the most difficult print to master. Have you been printing in pure B&W or using a color tint? Any problems with matamerism or bronzing?

I'm just getting started, so I don't have all the answers, but so far I can see a small amout of bronzing, but no matamerism. While the amout of bronzing is small I have been told that with a RIP, and or tweaking the settings I reduce it even more.

Sam