Rebel XTi or D50

dj_pshooterdj_pshooter Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 6, 2006 in Cameras
Hello, today, my point and shoot camera broke its LCD today due to slippery hands. Now, I am left with a broken R707. Since I saw a D80 at my local Coscto warehouse, I have fallen in love with DSLR's. Due to budget, I cannot afford it at this time. I currently have a 1 gig SD card (UltraII) but I plan to buy a 2 gig card. Canon Rebel XTi I see only takes CompactFlash. If I get a D50 I plan on getting an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens So my questions are,
1. Nikon or Canon?
2. Does CompactFlash take up battery life more than SD cards?
3. Are Canon lenses better than Nikon lenses?

Thanks,
DJP

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Hello, today, my point and shoot camera broke its LCD today due to slippery hands. Now, I am left with a broken R707. Since I saw a D80 at my local Coscto warehouse, I have fallen in love with DSLR's. Due to budget, I cannot afford it at this time. I currently have a 1 gig SD card (UltraII) but I plan to buy a 2 gig card. Canon Rebel XTi I see only takes CompactFlash. If I get a D50 I plan on getting an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens So my questions are,
    1. Nikon or Canon?

Thanks,
    DJP

The last time this question came up these were the responses
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=48113
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • dj_pshooterdj_pshooter Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2006
    Thanks Harry
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    1. Nikon or Canon?

Thanks,
    DJP

I've only used Nikon P&S cameras, so don't know much about Canon's offerings. Having said that, I just received my first dSLR in the mail, Canon's XTi. So far I love it. Only had it a few days, and have already shot hundreds of pics with it.

I bought the kit, and added the battery grip from 17th ST Photo, a 55-200mm zoom, and a 50mm prime. Also bought the 450EX flash. I cannot compare Nikon and Canon cameras, but |I can say that |I think I'll get lots of use and years of happiness from this one camera. Don't know if the |Nikon is better, but if you've never had a dSLR, |I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference.

HTH
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    1. Nikon or Canon?

Thanks,
    DJP
    As for your questions,
    1. Nikon and Canon are good companies with a very big supply of lenses, bodies, flashes, and other accessories to fill your photographic needs.

2. As far as I know CF cards do not take more battery life than SD cards.
    Canon XTi can shoot about 360 shots per charge, while a D50 can shoot about 400 shots per charge, you milage varying depending how you use the camera.

3. Both lenses are pretty comparable is you buy comparable level of lenses. Plus there are many third party makers for the lenses that are very good and much cheaper.

I'd let price, features, and how the camera feels in the hand be your guide. Plus remember if you intend to shoot RAW, canon includes a rawconvert for free, while Nikon charges for one.

Good luck
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    i always get more than 400 shots per charge...my 1gb card has over 500 images on it right now since last recharge.

i put it on the charger about once every 3 weeks. you'll get a lot of extra life from the battery if you dont use the on board flash.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I have the XTi and so far I love it... I looked at the d50 as well, but one of the bigger things that kept me on the Canon side was that I wouldn't have to buy new memory cards... I already owned a ton of CF cards from my last Canon.... plus I'm just so used to the way they do things, I'd feel a little alienated going back to Nikon (my first digital camera was a Nikon... back in the day when 1mp was super cool, lol)

They're both great cameras though. The one thing I did like a little more about the d50 body when I checked it out in the store is the fact that it is more sturdy and weather proofed... the xti body is not.
  • BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I'm no expert (not evn close), but I just attended a presentation on aircraft accident photography as part of a course I just did. The presenter was a professional photographer who works for a large investigation body, and his take on the Canon v Nikon thing was this:

Digital photography is based on video technology. Canon has significant experience with this technology, Nikon doesn't.

That said, he's still a huge fan of Nikon cameras, but thinks Canon has always been slightly ahead of them in the digital field.

FWIW.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 6, 2006
    BVardy wrote:
    I'm no expert (not evn close), but I just attended a presentation on aircraft accident photography as part of a course I just did. The presenter was a professional photographer who works for a large investigation body, and his take on the Canon v Nikon thing was this:

Digital photography is based on video technology. Canon has significant experience with this technology, Nikon doesn't.

That said, he's still a huge fan of Nikon cameras, but thinks Canon has always been slightly ahead of them in the digital field.

FWIW.
    Interesting take Monsieur Vardy wave.gif

I have to admit, I've heard a bazillion Nikon v Canon reasons, but never that one.

While this may be true, it applies only to sensors (the "digital part"). It's pretty well known Canon trumps Nikon in low light/high ISO noise. But at this point, both are very far along, and especially at the entry level we're talking about here, the difference is minor, if any at all.

More important to an SLR, in my opinion, is the glass in front of the sensor, and how it handles. Glass can be argued either way, don't think either side could be a clear winner. So that leaves the third, handling, which is completely subjective. Ergonomics, menu layout, size, are all important to an SLR user. Which is why I always suggest: go put both in your hand and buy the one that "feels" better. Until you're a pro, no other super technical reasons will matter.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]