Options

#79 Waiting

evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited December 11, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
For the train... ?
had enough time to see a NY rat running down the tracks...

114375221-L-1.jpg

Thanks
Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    You know....
    I like this shot. It has many appealing elements and gives the sense of waiting along with an interestingly photographic feel. I like the colored lights down the corridor...but I am very curious if black & white conversion may make it even better.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    I like the shot...it definitely conveys the message of waiting. If I had been shooting this particular scene, I think I would have put the focus on the second guy as he seems to be standing out more than the others. My eye keeps wandering to him and I would prefer him to be sharp. As it is, the only thing that appears somewhat sharp is the track in the foreground, which is not really the subject. Great subject matter, though! :D
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    114508585-L.jpg

Thanks for the comments! The way I am when I wait for a train (unless I'm in a rush) is my mind starts drifting ... so I didn't really want the people in focus. The reason I wanted the tracks more in focus than the people is to show that there wasn't a train on the horizon. I would like to reshoot it though just to see though. :) Thanks again! Main thing I did is just change the raw file from color to monochrome and slight crop on the left.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Yeah, I think it works better in B& W and I like the new cropping as well - I like the pillar framing the shot
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    I would straighten it and definitely use the B&W.

I love the idea and capture!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Indeed
    way way better. Was going to suggest cropping to the pillar as well...now it has the "element". I think saurora has a valid point about focus but don't really think the way it is takes away from the "feel" of the image. The viewer can certainly identify with waiting for the train and I think it's captured well. The only suggestion I have is play with the levels/curves and make this baby "pop" as the pillar on the left has a bit of washed overexposure. thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    way way better. Was going to suggest cropping to the pillar as well...now it has the "element". I think saurora has a valid point about focus but don't really think the way it is takes away from the "feel" of the image. The viewer can certainly identify with waiting for the train and I think it's captured well. The only suggestion I have is play with the levels/curves and make this baby "pop" as the pillar on the left has a bit of washed overexposure. thumb.gif
    I think you need to add to the shadow depth..they just don't seem dark enuff and that may bring the pop value up also.
    But good interpretation.thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Good work although the out of focus pillar and people is a little distracting.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2006
    ok I touched em up a little bit - Just the raw file, crop and slight straightening. Does that qualify? If not I could use Picture it! for the slight rotate? Or you could slightly tilt your monitor :p

B/W:
    115608201-L.jpg

Color:
    115607910-L.jpg

icon5.gifne_nau.gifthumb.gif

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GouriGouri Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    B/W: thumb.gif
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Agreed, with this particular photo, B&W looks good!

Nice job!

Ben

:)