Suggest Posing Book

limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited December 4, 2006 in Technique
Hello all,

I'm looking for input on what my best choice for a book on posing would be?

It woud be nice if I could find one that covered as much as possible, ie: goups, kids, portraits, weddings with specific examples and not getting too off topic with hardware or general photo technique discussion. I hope to find one that is fairly modern with relativley new and interestng examples. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Nope, no ideas. :D

I moved this thread to technique, and i have a request. If you find a good book on the subject, think about writing a short review for our Books section (up in the navbar).
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nope, no ideas. :D

I moved this thread to technique, and i have a request. If you find a good book on the subject, think about writing a short review for our Books section (up in the navbar).
    Thanks, I would be happy to. I'm not coming up with much in my searches yet. I've also looked through several books from Amherst Meda but they were dissapointing. If I could take the useful parts from all of the Amherst books on posing and combine them into one book I might actually be willing to pay for it.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    I was searching unsuccessfully for a decent posing book, too. The ones I saw did not have especially good reviews. I ended up buying a bunch of books..........but none specifically on posing! I did buy one family portraiture book that I hope will fill my needs there, but I still need one for individual posing, without getting into fashion photography. If it's any good, I'll review it. :D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Not A Book But A Site That May Help
    Here is a link to PETER GOWLANDS SITE : a reknown Glamour Photographer out of Santa Monica Ca.

It has good ideas and there are some nudes in his work also, but it is the poses that matter right.

It also help to know what type of photography you need help with the posing of....portrait, wedding, studio or location...etc..etc
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Here is a link to PETER GOWLANDS SITE :
    FYI:
    Peter's site also has books available for purchase.
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    FYI:
    Peter's site also has books available for purchase.

I see. I'm going to check out 330 Best Poses for sure.
    Thanks.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I have not found any books I like. What I do is research photos online looking for poses that speak to me. I study magazines too. You can find some first rate ideas there. But the important thing is to be very picky. Only pay attention to the ones that make you go "whoa", the ones that really speak to you. Leave the others alone, don't pay attention to them. Over time, you will see a trend in the stuff that interests you. Use that as your inspiration and guide, because that is your style, and the types of work you will be best at.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I have not found any books I like. What I do is research photos online looking for poses that speak to me. I study magazines too. You can find some first rate ideas there. But the important thing is to be very picky. Only pay attention to the ones that make you go "whoa", the ones that really speak to you. Leave the others alone, don't pay attention to them. Over time, you will see a trend in the stuff that interests you. Use that as your inspiration and guide, because that is your style, and the types of work you will be best at.

Sounds like someone oughta write a book....Shay.

Or at least a tute! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops