Another HDR , tone mapped image.

wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
edited December 5, 2006 in Holy Macro
313474153_84aa3a00b5_o.jpgI know these aren't popular with some folks, but I like em anyway.

313456476_51e8875761_o.jpg

Comments and critique are welcomed!

Comments

• gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    I love looking at HDR's which look realistic and i like making them. In this case yours look realistic. I think they are great and is just another way of captureing exaclty what your eye sees. It is really hard somtimes to capture a scene or moment in which your eye actually sees it.

Both these are beautiful!

Which program do you use? photomatix?
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    wally5656 wrote:
    I know these aren't popular with some folks, but I like em anyway.
    Comments and critique are welcomed!

Those are rather neat Wally........ you have a spot on your lens that shows up on the second image in the sky on the left hand side beside the trees in the sky about half way down between the ground and the sky.

It's quite a nice effect Wally, I am not sure what it is that you do to the shots, is there a tutorial on this effect ???? ...... Skippy (Australia)

thanks for sharing :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Those are rather neat Wally........ you have a spot on your lens that shows up on the second image in the sky on the left hand side beside the trees in the sky about half way down between the ground and the sky.

It's quite a nice effect Wally, I am not sure what it is that you do to the shots, is there a tutorial on this effect ???? ...... Skippy (Australia)

thanks for sharing :D

Thanks Gavin, I appreciate it, yes, done with Photomatix.

Yes, time for a cleaning......should have cloned that out. That effect is done with a program called Photomatix, you can download a trial version for free..........just Google it. There are several tutorials also if you Google them.

Thanks for your kind words Skippy!!!!
  • lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Those are really nice. May I ask what HDR stands for. Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Those are really nice. May I ask what HDR stands for. Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

High Dynamic Range. Two (or more) shots blended together to capture the full range of brightness (or lack thereof) in the scene. Requires a tripod for best results.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    The second shot is my favorite and in my opinion a great use of the HDR concept. Looks like I could stick my finger into the computer and get it wet!

Question - is the white-ish halo around the trees the result of the overblown sky in one shot and not being able to trim neatly around the branches? I think the pic is great as is - just curious from a techincal standpoint. I always have trouble dealing with fuzzy edges and layers (like hair on people/dogs) and you seem to have done a great job.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    is there a tutorial on this effect ????
    Here's a good resource for you Skippy. This isn't a tut. But when your done w/ this article, you won't need a tut. You'll understand what is happening and know how to use it w/o assistance.

NOTE: Skip down a few paragraphs until you see a title called "Introduction"
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    controld wrote:
    Question - is the white-ish halo around the trees the result of the overblown sky in one shot and not being able to trim neatly around the branches?
    Hey Mike. Go here and do a word search for the word "halo" it will take you down to the end of the webpage. Your answer is there.

This is not the same link I gave Skippy. Although she may be interested in this page as well.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Nice heard a lot but never tried HDR looks intresting
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Here's a good resource for you Skippy. This isn't a tut. But when your done w/ this article, you won't need a tut. You'll understand what is happening and know how to use it w/o assistance.

NOTE: Skip down a few paragraphs until you see a title called "Introduction"

Thanks you :D I bookmarked it ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Wally
    I love that first one....what a great vivid red! The second has beautiful blues but the halos around the trees take away from it. I too have been messing around with Photomatix and it is pretty fun! Getting the realistic shot though sometimes is tough but as you say, it's fun anyway! Nice.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    I love that first one....what a great vivid red! The second has beautiful blues but the halos around the trees take away from it. I too have been messing around with Photomatix and it is pretty fun! Getting the realistic shot though sometimes is tough but as you say, it's fun anyway! Nice.

Thanks for the info SloYerRoll!!

Thanks Swartzy!!! The halos are the worst thing about that software, just have to experiment with the settings!