#79- "Patiently waiting"

kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited December 5, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
My name is Kim... I'm new and already addicted to the Dgrin forums! I consider myself a "beginner" photographer, although I've loved photography for years. I've had my Canon Digital Reberl XT for about a year, but just recently learned how to use the manual functions from my friend (and fellow dgrinner), Kate! So, needless to say, I'm having a blast and getting some great shots! :)

My idea for this challenge was to get some shots of my sister, who is pregnant with her second child (a boy!). I have two children of my own and I thought, what better way to capture "waiting" than having to wait 9 months to meet your child!

So, here's what I got! They pics are completely unedited at this point and wanted to get your feedback before I adjusted them. I'm also curious if you like the pics in color or b/w? Thanks in advance for you feedback!!!

This first shot has my sister's five yeard old daughter's hand on her belly...
114391201-L.jpg

Second one is just my sister... I converted this one to b/w.

114591302-L-1.jpg

Last one is more of a silhouette, but I kinda like how it profiles her belly...

114390035-L.jpg

So, let me know what you think!!! :) Thanks so much!!!

Kim

Comments

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Welcome to the forums and the challenge! Great idea, I think I like the first one best as it conveys more emotion. I also like the lighting. The other ones are good as well, but I'd crop them to remove the bra, since that doesn't add to the shot - in the B&W version in particular the white draws my eye away from the subject to the top of the frame.

I think both the B&W and the color work. I prefer the color since it makes the subject stand out from the background (which is plain in color).

Great stuff!
  • kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Geez... sorry about all the typos! I spent the day in downtown Chicago with my in-laws and a 1 and 3 year old! My brain must be a little fried! I did proof my post before sending it.... I really did!!! rolleyes1.gif

Kim
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    I really like 1 and 2. Great idea! thumb.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Welcome to the forum. All really great shots, I like # 3 best, I like the curves alot against the pleasant background.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Welcome to the forum....
    #1&2 are the best.....with number 1 being numero uno.....and I also would crop out the bra...just doen't add to the photo at all.
    Other than that I really like your interpretation alot.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 4, 2006
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I will crop the bra out. I'm leaning towards leaving it in color.... what do you think? I'm also leaning towards #1 just because I like my niece's hand in the picture. Like someone mentioned, I think it captures more emotion.

By the way, I like this challenge because I don't have Photoshop!clap.gif

Here's the picture again, cropped. Let me know if you think I should make any other adjustments/edits. Thanks so much!!!!

Kim
    114391201-L-1.jpg
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I really like #1, and I like it in color best (although I often prefer B&W). It just works really well in color I think. Very nice shot, Kim! -Kate
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    No question that your lovely shots convey the concept of waiting. I like the crop. Very nice work.

Virginia

Email
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    #1 for me.
    Good shots! It fits the challenge perfectly!
    Congrats to your expecting sister!
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    #1 for me - very nice picture.
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Kim, very nice, #1 does it for me.

Congratulations and welcome

Joe
  • QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    New crop works for sure! Love the photo!
  • jweathersonjweatherson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Fantastic Idea, I think the first one was the best choice for the entry! Jealous I didn' think of that! Well Done thumb.gif
    -James Weatherson

http://brit.smugmug.com
    edited December 5, 2006
    Thank you so much, everyone, for the warm welcome and kind feedback about the picture. I entered the cropped #1! :)

Kim
  • LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    I seem to be the oddball here but the child's hand in the first one draws my eye and my attention down and out of the picture and it becomes more about that child than the one they're waiting for. Given that, I prefer the second shot, bra cloned.
    edited December 5, 2006
    LilleG- Thanks for your opinion on my niece's hand in the picture. It's interesting to me how different people can look at a picture and notice different things and feel differently about it. I guess I saw her hand as a symbol of another loved one waiting for this baby (waiting to be a big sister), in addition to the more obvious, pregnant mother. And, to me, her small hand represents that, not too long ago, we were waiting for her and now she's involved in waiting for her sibling. To me, I see the pregnant belly, my sister's hands, and my niece's hands as intertwined... representing a new family that is soon to be.

I do like the second picture and I agree that it has a different feel. I wish I could enter more than one to cover the different interpretations. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Kim