Tiny Flowers

CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
edited December 11, 2006 in Holy Macro
Well I haven't posted in a while, but I've been lurking around reading and learning. I picked up a Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro a few days ago and I've been itching to try it out, but..... it's only 18 degrees outside!!! :huh

This little flower was the only one I could find, and the only bloom on my Everblooming Shamrock. The flower is only about the size of a nickel. I setup a white paper background and was playing around with my flash in wireless mode covered with a white foam (probably similar to the Better Bounce Card foam material) and the on camera flash diffused with a white paper towel.

Comments are very much appreciated! :D

PICT9261_edited-1.jpg

PICT9295_edited-1.jpg

PICT9285_edited-1.jpg

PICT9283_edited-2.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Charla wrote:
    Well I haven't posted in a while, but I've been lurking around reading and learning. I picked up a Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro a few days ago and I've been itching to try it out, but..... it's only 18 degrees outside!!! eek7.gif
    This little flower was the only one I could find, and the only bloom on my Everblooming Shamrock. The flower is only about the size of a nickel. I setup a white paper background and was playing around with my flash in wireless mode covered with a white foam (probably similar to the Better Bounce Card foam material) and the on camera flash diffused with a white paper towel.
    Comments are very much appreciated! :D

Hi Charla, I really like the first two shots, they remind me of two ladies with bonnets on and the leaves look like their dresses :D

Very pretty.... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Hello Charla
    Congrats for the lens
    Photos are really clear.
    Beautiful photography iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Thanks! I appreciate the comments Skippy and Awais. I already can't wait for spring, and the arrival of all the beautiful flowers! :D
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    Nice job Charla
    Yea, 18 degrees is a bit cold goofing around with small camera buttons rolleyes1.gifGood work.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited December 5, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    Yea, 18 degrees is a bit cold goofing around with small camera buttons rolleyes1.gifGood work.

Thanks Swartzy :D I still have a lot to learn about flash photography, but I seem to learn the most just by setting something up and playing around for a while to see what works and what doesn't.

Appreciate the comment!
  • mgd_harveymgd_harvey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Loveley shots.

I particularly like the lighting and delicate colours of the first.

Looks like you're making good use of that new lens!
    Mark
    --
    So much has changed in our photo-world, and yet basically nothing's changed - It's still the pictures that really matter. David Noton
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Congrats on the new fear!
    I think #3 is the shot for me. I like the moody lighting....
    Background gradient seems a little crooked. But this is just you experimenting. That's the best way to great shots!
    edited December 11, 2006
    Holy Moly! I've never had a thread come back from page 2 before! Thanks for the comments Mark & SloYerRoll. :D

I did have the camera set up in portrait orientation but also somewhat diagonal in order to fit the full blooms and the leaves in the same shot and fill as much of the frame as possible. I'm already wishing for some Kenko extension tubes since I couldn't get close enough to fill the frame with just the flower. My wish list is never ending!