"WAITING.....for water"

CAR 3B SFDCAR 3B SFD Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 8, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
This would have been my first ever submission, but I took the shot last year. I did not use any Photoshop- what you see is what i saw. When you are the chief standing outside, it seems like forever for the water to fill the hose!! thanks in advance for all your comments.
mark

Comments

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Ok, arson is a bit extreme for a dgrin challenge. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Congrats on your first posting. :)

I like where the fire is as far as composition goes. The firefighter looks a little squeezed in the frame. Also, I would crop off the white section on the right because it is a little distracting.

In general I think it requires some adjustment in exposure and sharpening.

As far as 'waiting' goes, I feel like he's saying more like 'oh no' instead of 'waiting', imo.
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    I dont' get the "waiting" here. My eyes keep going towards the fire and I think just that - "fire".
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 7, 2006
    Oh, I get the waiting part. I have been right there in that same spot both as the firefighter and officer in charge. The look the Chief is giving is one of "Expletive... What is taking so long?" There is a lot of things that go wrong on a fire ground. The guys have to gear up, hose has to be pulled off the truck, the truck has to be shifted to pump, and the line has to be stretched from the truck to the fire. Along the way the pump can refuse to shift or pump, a hose gets kinked, a firefighter has gear problems, or the hose has to be run from the street in front to the back of the house where the fire is. All of this can take time and waiting seems like forever.

I agree that the comp is a little tight and needs to be cropped on the right. You got a great shot given the conditions. A slightly higher ISO might have helped.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • CAR 3B SFDCAR 3B SFD Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 8, 2006
    waiting... too long
    THANKS to all for your comments. Its funny how Docwalker "got it", but only because he has been there. Hmmmm, portraying a feeling such as, "When the h*ck are they going to send the water?" seems so obvious. I guess if you have never been the chief in command, other feelings seem apparent. Shooting great fireground shots is very difficult, especially at night. All the gear has reflective trim which flashes back. I have to perfect my use of 'back curtain sync"- any suggestions on that?
    again, thanks

Mark
    District Chief
    Syracuse
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    To me it looked like he was waiting for backup. :)
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • CAR 3B SFDCAR 3B SFD Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 8, 2006
    waiting... for something
    yes, we do use the term "Backup" in the fire service, as the second engine guys 'backup' the first due engine guys. "Backup" is also what the finest (police) ask for when confronting the bad guys. But really, he was just outright "Waiting"....