Coming to the Digital Side

Deke in AkDeke in Ak Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited December 11, 2006 in Cameras
I have decided to make the switch to digital. Being an absolute n00b in the digital world, I am wondering if I am making a good choice in a camera system.

I'm looking pretty seriously at the Olympus E330. I've done a bit of reading on the camera and tried to search this forum for information.

Is anyone using this camera regularly? Anything weird I need to know before I buy one? I really like the ability to view the image on the lcd screen as I travel by motorcycle and want to be able to compose and take pictures without removing my helmet. Is this a pro level camera? Is it tough enough to carry on a motorcycle (with reasonable care)?

I've been using Nikon film gear for at least 15 years, and yet given the excellent quality of Nikon gear I am thinking the Olympus system is what I am going to try for my first digslr.

Could some of you with "miles" on the Olympus gear givve me some feedback?

Thanks Much, Dennis

Comments

• wolfwoodswolfwoods Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    My first digital camera was an Oly...
    I had shot Nikon film since the 60's, but my first foray into digital was an Oly P&S. It gave me a chance to try digital imaging, and very clearly told me I needed an SLR for the kind of photography I was doing. Since I already had the the Nikon lenses, I bought a Nikon D2H, a D70, and now a D200. Notice - I don't have have any experience with the particular camera you are looking at, but I do feel some obligation to respond to some of your questions.

The definition of "pro" is highly debated. What is a "pro" camera in your mind? Some say if it has selectable scene functions or a pop-up flash it is not pro. Some think any SLR is a pro. Some say it's not if the flash synch speed is less than 1/250" or if the WB cannot be manually set, or if you can't see the histogram, or... you get the idea. A while back I would have said that you wouldn't see a pro using an E330, but I was at a wedding last year where the pro was using a Coolpix. If you think it's a pro, it is.

Make a list of what you want the camera to do and put a value on each of them. For me, compatability with the arsenal of lenses I already had, start up time, shutter response time, WB setting ease, feel of the camera in my hands, and big buttons became my highest priorities. Later things like noise, durability, size, and other issues became important. Now I'm regretting large file sizes (RAW files from the D200 are larger than the first hard drive I owned!).

Your priorities seem to be: SLR, ability to use LCD as viewfinder, durability. Combining the first two criteria creates a very small pool of candidates. The E330 is probably too new to have any kind of durability track record. Personally, I don't care for the extra moving parts, but I'm not looking for a camera with an LCD viewfinder, either.

And, FWIW, I used to ride (and wrecked) a motorcycle, and I always wore a helmet. I can't think of any time I stopped to take a photo and didn't want to take off my helmet anyway. Again, FWIW, I'd be looking for a good small SLR and put the extra $300 into some nice glass for it.

Whatevery you decide, ride safe and good shooting.thumb.gif

John
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    It seems like there's two logical choices here. 1) get a Nikon DSLR of some flavor to leverage all the money you've spent on Nikkor glass. or 2) go with a P&S fixed-lens camera from anyone which meets your other requirements. To me it doesn't make sense to get an Olympus DSLR & have to invest in a new collection of lenses.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    To me it doesn't make sense to get an Olympus DSLR & have to invest in a new collection of lenses.
    Agreed
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Deke in Ak wrote:
    I really like the ability to view the image on the lcd screen as I travel by motorcycle and want to be able to compose and take pictures without removing my helmet. Is this a pro level camera? Is it tough enough to carry on a motorcycle (with reasonable care)?

Deke:

The use you mention here is one I would consider a 'snap shot scenario". A DSLR is really designed to help you compose your shot, and while the live view is interesting, the application really hasnt taken off in the broader DSLR workd because it has too many compromises.

In addition, I can not imagine holding a DSLR, especially with a reasonably sized lens, in hand while on a motorcycle. (maybe I misunderstood you?)

In any case, my opinion is that you should look for a nice Point and Shoot for use for snapshots from your motorcycle, and when you stop to take some nice photos, you pull out your DSLR. This DSLR choice should be made based on the DSLR features you most value, including perhaps live view.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    I am an Olympus SLR user. I have the E-500 and am extremely happy with it. Olympus has a wonderful reputation for their lenses - the Zuiko lenses are really very good.
    I have not used the E-330 a lot, but I have played with one a few times. The E-330 is a fabulous camera in my opinion. It fits a niche that it seems you may be looking for. It does have live-view which no other SLR has except the panasonic (And it uses the exact same technology but the panasonic costs twice as much). The E-330 is a metal body so it will be very durable. It also has an adjustable LCD screen (Again something no other SLR has).
    Another huge plus for olympus cameras is their dust-reduction system. Some other companies have developed similar technology this year (canon and pentax) but from what I have read the Olympus dust reduction technology is still the best of the three.
    DSLR's have progressed well enough that you really can get a great product from any of the major companies (Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Pentax), so I think the decision comes to fit. If you want live preview Olympus is really the only one to offer this. If you want durability then a metal body can be a good idea.
    As an olympus SLR user, I can say that the cameras are well constructed, the kit lenses are better than any of the kit lenses from competitors (Phil from DPReview often compliments Olympus for their great lenses), the dust reduction really works, and the price is very good. The E-330 is priced very competitively right now. For all the features it offers I think it is a great deal.
    I chose the E-500 because it was less expensive, I LOVED the feel of the camera, and it came with a two lens kit (again something difficult to find with any other manufacturer). I have been using the E-500 for about 10 months now and have never looked back. You won't go wrong with Olympus - they are an innovative company that makes a very nice product.
    If the live preview is not as important - the E-500 is a fantastic value for the quality of the camera - the two lens kit is really unbeatable.
    Onle last note:
    JD Power and Associates ranked the E-series DSLRs highest in customer satisfaction for cameras over $600. I am one satisfied customer, and I bet you would be too.
    The E-330 recieved the award for the "Best of What's New" from Popular Science for 2006.
  • Deke in AkDeke in Ak Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Thanks for the Replies
    What I am referring to as "pro" really has nothing to do with the amount of geewhiz built into the camera. I think of a "pro" level camera as one that can take the day to day use and abuse of photogs on assignment. Fit, reliability, ease of use, and construction of the camera for water repellency and keeping dust out of the inside are the things that make a camera a "pro" level piece of equipment.

I figure that getting the basic correct exposure is the primary concern whether film or digital and most everything else with digital can be done on the computer, albeit probably is a good idea to get the exposure pretty close to what is desired as a final image to begin with.

As far as what I am referring to about riding my mc and taking pictures, I will leave taking pics while riding to a p&s, carefully I might add. I am not a n00b in the mc or photography arenas. I live in Alaska, and I ride to some of the most beautiful places you can imagine. What appeals to me, is being able to see my pic composition without taking off my helmet (I do have a flip front) because if I take my helmet off for each picture, that may be 30 or 40 times a day while I'm travelling. Having to take off my helmet gets rather old after a while and I've passed up some really nice shots because I didn't want to deal with the helmet. The riding gloves are another issue.

I also do aerial photography, so as with riding a mc, I am concerned about vibration damage to the camera and lenses

I really use my equipment, spiced with a little abuse every so often. I also take care of it and keep it clean and serviced etc.

I thank you Jonathan for your review of the Olympus, I may wind up with one, but I will need to handle one first. The dust-reduction system sounds pretty good and I am glad you like it. I would probably be flat sold on the Oly if the lenses were VR type. I don't know if the vibration reduction type lenses are hype or not, but I've seen some pretty stunning work with them.

I appreciate the replies. I am thinking I will probably pick up a Nikon d50 to learn the basics of dslr work and go from there.

Cheers, Dennis
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Specifically addressing your question on VR/IS lenses. No, they are not hype. I have used Canon's 70-200/2.8 IS and the 300/2.8 IS and both were quite effective both handheld and tripod mounted. Effective enough that when I do buy my next lens, I will cough up the extra $500 for the IS version of the 70-200/2.8 and gladly.

For your "pro" camera requirements, I am mainly familiar with Canon's lineup and you are now talking 1D-series and L-lenses. On other words big bucks. Anything lower in the lineup is not specifically weather sealed. I expect Nikon and Olympus are similar. However, the other benefit there is those models are built like tanks; I have read many stories of extreme abuse where the camera survived (or saved the journalist's life--think taking a bullet & still shooting :wowbowdown.gif).

IMHO the sensor dust thing is overstated. I've had to clean my 20D twice (and am due for a third) in almost two years of use. It's easy to do & doesn't take very long.

I think the D50 is probably a good idea to get started.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 6, 2006
    Since you are into motorcycles and Nikon gear, check out this guy's site (Nikon D70):

http://www.frogwell.com/
    http://www.frogwell.com/gallery/main.php

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Deke in AkDeke in Ak Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Thanks for the Replies
    I have one more question, someone told me that the Nikon lenses that I have will be effectively 2 times their focal length when on a dslr body. IE, a 35-70 2.8d will effectively be a 70-140.

Is this correct?

I realize the part between the ears is the most important, but the quality of glass really helps.

Thanks, Dennis
  • XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Nikons are 1.5x
    35-70 = 52.5 - 105
    I Shoot Canons
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    wolfwoods wrote:
    I had shot Nikon film since the 60's, but my first foray into digital was an Oly P&S. It gave me a chance to try digital imaging, and very clearly told me I needed an SLR for the kind of photography I was doing. Since I already had the the Nikon lenses, I bought a Nikon D2H, a D70, and now a D200. Notice - I don't have have any experience with the particular camera you are looking at, but I do feel some obligation to respond to some of your questions.

The definition of "pro" is highly debated. What is a "pro" camera in your mind? Some say if it has selectable scene functions or a pop-up flash it is not pro. Some think any SLR is a pro. Some say it's not if the flash synch speed is less than 1/250" or if the WB cannot be manually set, or if you can't see the histogram, or... you get the idea. A while back I would have said that you wouldn't see a pro using an E330, but I was at a wedding last year where the pro was using a Coolpix. If you think it's a pro, it is.

Make a list of what you want the camera to do and put a value on each of them. For me, compatability with the arsenal of lenses I already had, start up time, shutter response time, WB setting ease, feel of the camera in my hands, and big buttons became my highest priorities. Later things like noise, durability, size, and other issues became important. Now I'm regretting large file sizes (RAW files from the D200 are larger than the first hard drive I owned!).

Your priorities seem to be: SLR, ability to use LCD as viewfinder, durability. Combining the first two criteria creates a very small pool of candidates. The E330 is probably too new to have any kind of durability track record. Personally, I don't care for the extra moving parts, but I'm not looking for a camera with an LCD viewfinder, either.

And, FWIW, I used to ride (and wrecked) a motorcycle, and I always wore a helmet. I can't think of any time I stopped to take a photo and didn't want to take off my helmet anyway. Again, FWIW, I'd be looking for a good small SLR and put the extra $300 into some nice glass for it.

Whatevery you decide, ride safe and good shooting.thumb.gif

John

That was a well-thought-out response John. Nicely done!

Erich