#79 - Stood Up

QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited December 14, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
"I guess she's not showing up..."
Waiting for someone when you've made a special meal is no fun.

114948763-L.jpg

Would love to hear people's comments on this shot. I'm new to dgrin (and LOVE it) and new to photography so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice on how to avoid strange reflections of the flames from appearing?

FYI - I've done super basic bw conversion and a tiny bit of cropping.

http://rosaura.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=114948763

Gracias,

Comments

• jweathersonjweatherson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    VERY VERY cool idea! I like that thumb.gif
    He really does look dissapointed.
    -James Weatherson

http://brit.smugmug.com
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Yesthumb.gif I like this shot. The message and the candlelight!

Virginia

Email
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 5, 2006
    This is a great idea, but if you could reshoot, there are a few things you might do to improve it. I would like to see more of the place setting of the missing person to make it clearer that nobody is there. Putting some red wine in his cup while leaving the other one empty would also help deliver the message. I would like to see his face in sharper focus. Regarding the reflections, you can sometimes get rid of them by altering your shooting angle slightly or repositioning the candles. Also, make sure you do not have any filters on your lens.
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Nice shot -- great idea. -Kate
  • kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Love it! The brightness of the candles (which I think adds nicely to the mood) is a little distracting and draws my eye to it, instead of the man's face. But, not sure how to fix that. I like the picture in the background, too.... it makes you aware that he's waiting for his girl! :)

Kim
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    great original idea!
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    great shot! Gets "Waiting" across very well!
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Well done, great entry!
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    I like this idea also. The one candle flare is a little problemsome, and a bit more DOF would be nice.
    I think I'd let the candles burn down a bit more also.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Dinner Guest!
    Great shot. I agree with a few other comments:
    * pull back a bit to see more of the other dinner plate
    * put some wine in his glass, and perhaps a full glass by the other place setting
    * try cutting the wick on the candle to make it shorter, flame may be smaller then, I think?
    * pulling/moving back, &/or zooming out, may also put less emphasis on the candle flames. If you're using a wide angle lens, this may be enlarging the flames in relation to other objects in the photo. Switch to more 'normal' lens.
  • QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I did a reshoot
    Everyone's feedback has been great!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!
    Here's another take:
    115155255-L.jpg

What I did:
    * Took off my lens filter - Thank you Richard!!! It worked much better!!!
    * Pulled the camera back to show more of the place setting - Thank you everyone
    * Added red wine in his glass (just a bit to show he's been drinking it) - Thanks Dave & shoppix
    * Tried to de-emphasis the candles and burned them down some more - Thank you Kim & Dave
    * Increase the DOF to better see the stuff on the table - Thanks Dave
    * Had him put on a nicer shirt - is it too bright now?
    * Put more lighting (candles...I don't have any lighting equipment...yet) behind and to the right of him.
    * Moved some of the apples and replaced them with strawberries to better show the empty glass
    * Made my husband be thankful he's not a full-time model. :)

I really like his expression in the first one (I agree, he looks very disappointed, James) but like what is happening on the table more in this one.

I don't know if I can do another reshoot but if I can't, which one do you like better. If I can, what do you think worked and what didn't work?

As always, any input would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I like it
    This is a good entry... goodluck!
  • kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    VERY nice!! I love it! The second shot is much stronger than the first. All the details that you changed made a BIG difference, IMO! And, I think, his expressions in both pictures equally depict someone "waiting"... or feeling disappointed from being stood up. Poor guy!!!

Great job!!!

Kim
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Wow -- great improvement! It is fun to see this board working. I like all of the changes you made. The angle, the glass being more visible, everything on the table sharper. I like his shirt better, and no, it doesn't look too bright to me (the other shirt was distracting in comparison). This is a more believable shot and compositionally better. I agree his expression is equally good in both shots. The only (minor) thing I see that could be changed is the glass/candle reflection in the background. Too bad you can't use PS to take that out!! Again, I think that's a pretty minor thing...Great job! -Kate
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I loved #1 and I really love #2. Wonderful composition, nice lighting, right on theme.

Virginia

Email
    edited December 6, 2006
    I gotta say, I LOVE Love love dgrin!!!

This forum is great and I love everyone's input and I'm learning so much!!!!

Thank you Virginia, Kate, Kim & lr1811 - glad you like the reshoot! :)

Kate, yeah, I wish I could PS out the reflection but it'll have to stay.

Gracias!
  • Jeff GeoghanJeff Geoghan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    I'd submit this one - as good or better themewise!
    Jeff Geoghan Photography
    Interiors, Exteriors & Landscape
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    www.jeffgphoto.net
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    great reshoot
    excellent shot, and a lot of great feedback... all of which you capitalized on wonderfully. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    I love this second shot! Great redo. iloveyou.gif
    Although, instead of taking pictures and standing him up, you should have sat down and ate with him. Then I may have a chance at winning the contest! Wicked.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited December 12, 2006
    evoryware wrote:
    I love this second shot! Great redo. iloveyou.gif
    Although, instead of taking pictures and standing him up, you should have sat down and ate with him. Then I may have a chance at winning the contest! Wicked.gif
    Laughing.gif! rolleyes1.gif
    I really really like your train shot too!!!

Thank you for the compliment! The reshot was really fun (at least for me) - he was miserable sitting and waiting for me to finish shotting. Maybe that's why his expression works for this challenge.
  • CanonDigitalCanonDigital Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    Great shots, but I feel that the candles are too high and the flames are too bright, which are a little bit distracting. Perhaps using candle in a holder/bowl, something like the followings might give a better mood. Sorry for my lack of words. I don't know what those candles are called, so I just called them candle in a holder/bowl :D

hw_tealight_holder_2.jpg

glo_02.jpg
    edited December 14, 2006
    Great shots, but I feel that the candles are too high and the flames are too bright, which are a little bit distracting. Perhaps using candle in a holder/bowl, something like the followings might give a better mood. Sorry for my lack of words. I don't know what those candles are called, so I just called them candle in a holder/bowl :D

GREAT suggestion!!!! Yeah, I know the candles were too high and distracting and I tried my best to down play them on the 2nd shot (let them burn more so they where shorter). But this idea would have worked better.

It is too late for the challenge but for the next time I try something like this, I will definately use your suggestion. Thanks for the sample pictures, that helped get your idea quickly. :)

Much appreciated,
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    Quitarita wrote:
    The reshot was really fun (at least for me) - he was miserable sitting and waiting for me to finish shotting. Maybe that's why his expression works for this challenge.

I be he's not miserable now that the vote is over! wings.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited December 14, 2006
    evoryware wrote:
    I bet he's not miserable now that the vote is over! wings.gif

Yeah, he's got superstar status now. bowdown.gif

Although he was a superstar even before this. iloveyou.gif