Old trains

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited December 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hi all,
this is for all you old train lovers. :D
I went to the Railway Museum in Ljubljana last weekend and spent a few hours shooting the exhibits. There are both old abandoned train cars in the open area outside and all sorts of old steam engines in the museum hall. Inside it was dark too and impossible to shoot without a tripod.

V04-vlaki-039.jpg

V08-vlaki-052.jpg

V13-vlaki-097.jpg

V15-vlaki-105.jpg

V19-vlaki-133.jpg

V21-vlaki-144.jpg

All images taken with Canon 350D and a Sigma 15mm fisheye.
The rest of the photos can be seen here.
Comments and critique welcome!

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I went to the Railway Museum in Ljubljana last weekend and spent a few hours shooting the exhibits. There are both old abandoned train cars in the open area outside and all sorts of old steam engines in the museum hall. Inside it was dark too and impossible to shoot without a tripod.
    All images taken with Canon 350D and a Sigma 15mm fisheye.
    The rest of the photos can be seen here.
    Comments and critique welcome!

Ana

Hi Ana........... Rust is something you can very artistic with, I love not only the colour, but how it is peeling off in layers.

The Modified car to run on the train track is pretty nifty clap.gif looks like it was built to last ..... the whole series is great.

Too bad they let some of those old trains go to ruin.

Thanks for sharing.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • mgd_harveymgd_harvey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Hi all,
    Hi Ana,

Thanks for posting these, they are great. I love steam trains (well most things to do with trains, really mwink.gif)

It looks like they have quite a few projects there to restore these. I particularly love the rail 'car'. The inside of the carriage is great too.thumb.gif

Thanks for posting the pic of the loco's too. They look fantastic - very different from those we have in the UK :D

As for the shots themselves, I think that they are all great. It's amazing how photogenic decay can be...
    Mark
    --
    So much has changed in our photo-world, and yet basically nothing's changed - It's still the pictures that really matter. David Noton
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Ljubljana difficult name is this in USA ? Very cool series loved them i love antique things
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 7, 2006
    Thanks, Skippy! Yes, rust is a very photogenic object. So are old trains. I was a bit limited because I was only using a fisheye lens, but it was a worthwhile experience as I had to jog my creativity even more. :)
    As for letting some of the old trains to go to ruin - most of them are actually very well preserved, it's just the ones in the railyard outside that are decayed. And they add flavor to the visit of the Railway Museum, believe me. ;)

Ana
    Ana
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 7, 2006
    mgd_harvey wrote:
    Hi Ana,

Thanks for posting these, they are great. I love steam trains (well most things to do with trains, really mwink.gif)

It looks like they have quite a few projects there to restore these. I particularly love the rail 'car'. The inside of the carriage is great too.thumb.gif

Thanks for posting the pic of the loco's too. They look fantastic - very different from those we have in the UK :D

As for the shots themselves, I think that they are all great. It's amazing how photogenic decay can be...

Thanks! Since you love trains, you might be interested in a selection of photos that our photo club is going to publish online shortly. There was a group of us taking photos of the railway museum and we are in the process of selecting the photos for the "virtual" exhibition. I can post the url here when it's online.
    As for the locos - haha well, they are a hundred years or so old, so they are a bit different from our modern locos too. mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    edited December 7, 2006
    Ljubljana difficult name is this in USA ? Very cool series loved them i love antique things

Thanks, Awais! Haha, no, Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia, where I live. And I agree, it's quite difficult to pronounce if you don't speak Slovenian. mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    edited December 7, 2006
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Thanks! Since you love trains, you might be interested in a selection of photos that our photo club is going to publish online shortly. There was a group of us taking photos of the railway museum and we are in the process of selecting the photos for the "virtual" exhibition. I can post the url here when it's online.
    As for the locos - haha well, they are a hundred years or so old, so they are a bit different from our modern locos too. mwink.gif

Ana

I would love to see the pictures when you have the virtual exhibition ready iloveyou.gif

I was meaning that they look quite a bit different from our old locomotives from around the same time too. Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread slightly but just as an example, this loco is over 100 years old too...

City_of_Truro_001_BW_2004-08-28.jpg

I'm willing to bet that our modern locos look a bit differeent from your modern locos too mwink.gifD:D

If you object, I'll take down the above pic.
    Mark
    --
    So much has changed in our photo-world, and yet basically nothing's changed - It's still the pictures that really matter. David Noton
    edited December 7, 2006
    No, of course I don't mind you hijacking this thread. I'm always for some constructive debate. To be frank, I don't think the loco in your pic is that much different from Slovenian locos, but then I'm no expert. :D
    If you're interested, have a look at the gallery of the the Slovenian Railway Museum website and compare the steam engines. Let me know if they are really that different from the British ones from the same era, OK? You got me intrigued. mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    edited December 7, 2006
    Thanks for the link to the museum website, that was very interesting.

There are a lot of similarities in the engines beacause the basics remained the same from the earliest engines right up until the end of steam and the British engines were the first and therefore the ones on which other designers based their engines.

I noticed a lot more similarities with some of the other engines on the museum site to the UK engines. The ones in the shed that you posted, however, seem to have a lot more of their pipes on the outside of the frame and over the boiler. The boiler seems smaller in comparison to the cab and the funnels look a lot larger.

About the best sites I can find with examples of the UK engines are
    http://www.britishsteam.com/ - follow the 'steam gallery' link and
    http://www.locos-in-profile.co.uk/

The Slovenian engines on the museum website are quite readily identifiable as what I would call 'Continental' engines. They have a very German/Austrian look to them (Oops - just checked - some were built in Austia)
    Mark
    --