On a day like today #5

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited December 9, 2006 in People
I get almost no feedback on my "On a day like today" series so this perhaps is the last of them.
Bandanna Girl
Model-Search-2_MG_9874.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69
Model-Search_MG_9860.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69
I’ve met this interesting girl near the Sydney Town Hall while she was buying a quick snack for her lunch. There was something very special about her. Perhaps the “model search” t-shirt was an obvious give away. She had stunning facial features, emphasised by the bandanna and a figure of a super-model. Thank you gorgeous.

Where the hell am I?
Where-the-hell-am-I_MG_9926.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69
Tourists do struggle in Sydney, even with a map in their hand. Poor street markings, strange numbering schemes can be very confusing for the visitors. Here an Asian tourist is lost in… China Town. How ironic.

On a park bench
Lovers-on-a-bench_MG_9916.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69
I have mentioned this before: there is not a lot of visible expression of love in the street of Sydney. But when there is love even the light favours the young lovers.

Striped Dress
Striped-Dress_MG_9900.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69
This summer “sexy” is back in fashion. Girls wear short dresses of various designs. Polka dots, stripes and bell dresses dominate the trends. Naturally, here we have another stunning Sydney girl.

At the Forbes
At-The-Forbes_MG_9886.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69
The Forbes is one of Sydney’s best known pubs. Here it seems the management is guarding via video surveillance its sole patron. Cheers mate.

Comments

• jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Aw no!

I like reading your posts eveyday! I hope you will continue making these types of posts! Good pictures as always. thumb.gif
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    "On a day like today" is a Tuesday story board. On Tuesdays I have an hour and a half after work to myself thus I take a longish walk and instead of getting on my train at the station that is 2 minutes from my office I walk accross to the Sydney Central station. It takes only 30 minutes if you don't stop and take photos or whole 1.5 hours if you are me ;-)
    jsedlak wrote:
    Aw no!

I like reading your posts eveyday! I hope you will continue making these types of posts! Good pictures as always. thumb.gif
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Oh please don't stop sharing your series with us! I enjoy looking at your photos (which are very well done by the way) and reading the captions. The people in Sydney are beautiful, lots of opportunity.:D
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 5, 2006
    hah!-

poor ted!-

please consider my request to continue-

I always enjoy looking at your photos-

just don't get to get on here as regularly as I like, and don't always comment on everything I look at and like-

seriously, please keep posting and sharing-

best
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 5, 2006
    ps-

I really enjoy your photos of the ladies-
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Yeah man, keep them coming. I don't stop to comment very often, but rest assured, I do browse all the threads in this forum, and interesting people shots are the reason why. thumb.gif You've got good stuff, for sure, so do continue to share!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited December 5, 2006
    Thanks all for encouragement. Perhaps my message was worded wrongly.

I'd still post single shots from time to time it's just I though the single post with many shots was a less acceptable format, probably because of generic title.
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I admire your work and like your approach to street photography. I like the photos as a series. I'd love to hear your tips/suggestions for working with people you don't know, if/when you ask permission vs. just taking the picture, and how you get the candid shots even when you do have their awareness and permission to shoot? -Kate
    edited December 6, 2006
    Kate,

In majority I take the photo first to get this genuine candid feel. Than I show them the photo, tell them my intention (publish on the Internet) and I give them my card, so they can find the photos themselves.

Shooting first is sometimes quite difficult too if you are very close to them or they are observing you, but it is not impossible. Usually you need to create an impression you are shooting something, or someone else. This is often referd to as the invisible photographer. They loose interest and you get the shot. The second shot in this series was shot with less than 2m distance (2 yards). I never "snipe" - hide and shoot people in such way they cannot see me. It's just not me. I rather delete an image when someone notices me and asks me to do so. Happened to me perhaps 4 times in last 6 months.

I will not approach people I consider dangerous for permission.

kmh wrote:
    I admire your work and like your approach to street photography. I like the photos as a series. I'd love to hear your tips/suggestions for working with people you don't know, if/when you ask permission vs. just taking the picture, and how you get the candid shots even when you do have their awareness and permission to shoot? -Kate
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I like your suggestions a lot. Generally, I have had a surprisingly tolerant response (and even quite friendly sometimes) to my photo taking...but just the other day, I had someone say to me that she wished I would have asked her first (she was quite unhappy). Many times I do ask, but I didn't want to wreck the moment (my photo challenge "Waiting for the Bus") -- I prefer candids -- and I didn't know what to say to her. So I like your suggestion to offer to delete the photo if they have a problem with it. I thanked her, offered her a copy, etc...Part of me thinks, "well, it's a public place", and then another part of me can totally understand because I hate having my picture taken. And it's not that I want to sneak around, but I like catching things just as they are when I can...and it doesn't happen that often (I use a 50mm lens, so I usually like to get pretty close).

Now if the person doesn't notice you, do you still go up to them and tell them you took their photo?
    edited December 8, 2006
    Yes, I do. People find it flattering that a photographer considered them interesting subject and also they have the opportunity to see and download the final work for their own amusement. Also, they are likely to show the website to their friends.

PS: I shoot with anything from 12mm to 200mm, inluding 50mm 1.4.
    kmh wrote:
    Now if the person doesn't notice you, do you still go up to them and tell them you took their photo?
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Bandanna Girl
    Model-Search-2_MG_9874.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69
    Model-Search_MG_9860.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=e994a9dbc50f45008e23194d8d0fbf69

clap.gif These are great!
    The first one is just excellent! WOW!
    I love the second one too, besides the busy background. The model is great!!!