family shoot #2...1st revision, 2nd revision

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 6, 2006 in People
This was from this summer, my second family photo shoot (and they are family too!). The first pic is my first attempt at editing...the second is my latest attempt (uncropped). How did I do? Any more suggestions for improvement? By the way, the dad and daughter did have some sun burn going on. I realize now that I should have used some flash for this backlit situation, but I'm learning! Thanks for any feedback!

Elaine

94424481-L.jpg

114948916-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    I love the second shot Elaine! Much better lighting, I don't know if I would crop it though, looks good as it is to me. Others may have better suggestions for you. thanks for sharing!
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Second edit looks much better. Isn't it amazing how much better you can get at editing. And that you realized you should use flash for shots like this is also a great thing to learn. Next thing on your list of things to accomplish is to learn to use your histogram. That would have told you that there were spots blown out. I think there is no need to crop the second shot, it looks fine as is.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Thanks for the encouragement, both of you! Yes, I do need to get better at using my histogram. For this shot, I knew there would be blown highlights in the background and I just wanted to get the people to look right. I think I'd like an external flash as my next piece of photog equipment. I love natural light, but I'm also realizing that if a bit of well used flash can improve the picture and reduce post processing, that's a good thing!
    Elaine

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Great capture on the second one! But I disagree about the crop - I like the first one better. You don't have the distraction of partial hands and legs in the photo and it brings more attention to their faces.

One thing that may have worked is to face them TOWARDS the bright area with a nice backdrop. (No clue where this was taken, obviously, so that might not have been possible.) If they're in the shade with their backs to a wall and facing somethign bright, you could get some really good lighting without a flash - or just use the flash to fill and for catchlights in the eyes.

A GREAT book for natural lighting is by Douglas Allen Box. I don't love the photos all that much, but the technique is wonderful and has helped me immensely! I take photos in full sun a LOT more than I used to because it helped me find appropriate shade.

Awesome shot! I can't wait to see you do more!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Great capture on the second one! But I disagree about the crop - I like the first one better. You don't have the distraction of partial hands and legs in the photo and it brings more attention to their faces.

One thing that may have worked is to face them TOWARDS the bright area with a nice backdrop. (No clue where this was taken, obviously, so that might not have been possible.) If they're in the shade with their backs to a wall and facing somethign bright, you could get some really good lighting without a flash - or just use the flash to fill and for catchlights in the eyes.

A GREAT book for natural lighting is by Douglas Allen Box. I don't love the photos all that much, but the technique is wonderful and has helped me immensely! I take photos in full sun a LOT more than I used to because it helped me find appropriate shade.

Awesome shot! I can't wait to see you do more!

Thanks for the comments and tips! I'll have to look up the book. For prints, the shot will definitely be cropped. The above crop is for an 11x14...the other crops may not be quite so tight, but I agree about removing the distracting parts of arms and legs. Getting families into nice positions is also something I need work on!
    Regarding the light situation...yes, I had taken some shots with them turned the exact opposite way and the lighting and background was very nice. However, the wind was not cooperative and kept blowing the two gals' hair in their face! It was driving them crazy and we couldn't get a clean shot.
    94141009-L.jpg

I still liked the shot, but my sister-in-law didn't want to send out Christmas cards with a picture where her hair was blowing around.
    So, even though I knew the background would most likely blow out in spots and not be as nice, we just turned everyone around so they could relax.

Thanks again for the comments! :D

Elaine
    Elaine