Harsh Light = Bonus Shadows

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited December 6, 2006 in People
When mother nature hands you harsh lighting......sometimes there's a bonus in the shadows.

Double shadows
113531350-L.jpg

Ooops...didn't mean to get my subject all wet either!
113468630-L.jpg

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Interesting use of the harsh light. Although I think I would ahve prefered to have her facing away from the camera rather than looking at it. When she is facing it I feel like I should be able to see her face. Did you expose any off of her to blow out the background for a high key effect? It's great to experiment, keeps things interesting.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Very cool shots!thumb.gif The second one is my favorite-great contrast and of course great use of the harsh sunlight.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Interesting use of the harsh light. Although I think I would ahve prefered to have her facing away from the camera rather than looking at it. When she is facing it I feel like I should be able to see her face. Did you expose any off of her to blow out the background for a high key effect? It's great to experiment, keeps things interesting.

Hi Nick! Actually this was an underexposed image, and yes there is some detail but I haven't taken the time to work on the shadows. I actually was attempting a silouhette for the challenge, so used curves to darken and played around in PS on the colors. But I lost the exif info and never bothered entering. These were part of a portrait session with my niece that didn't pan out too well. Her ditzy aunt left her glasses at home and was completely in the dark..........couldn't read the histograms at all or settings. Not the easiest way to shoot!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Thanks Kingmamaof2......I actually did not see the shadows while shooting, just discovered them in PP. :D