Editing software for beginner

kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited December 12, 2006 in Finishing School
I am not new to photography, but I only recently learned how to use some of the manual functions on my camera (Digital Rebel XT). So, this has really opened up a whole new world for me. I'm starting some photography classes this winter/spring and am very eagar to learn and expand my technical skills.

I recently offered to take some x-mas pictures for some friends, but was really limited in my editing capabilities. (A friend who has PS helped me out.) Last week, I downloaded the free Beta version of Adobe Lightroom. Seems to work great for minor adjustments and cropping. But, I feel limited because I can't (that I can tell) find a way to touch up facial blemishes/uneven skin tones.

At this point, I just cannot afford to buy Photoshop CS2, as much as I would love it. So, I guess I'm wondering what editing software you would recommend for a beginner? I'm really into portraits right now and just bought a Canon 50 mm 1.8 lense from a friend who was upgrading. I have a 1 and a 3 year old... and, well, scratches/bruises, drool rashes, chapped cheeks, etc... just come with the package! :) So, I would like something that could help me edit these facial blemishes, as well as the usual basic editing.

I was considering Adobe Elements, as it's in my price range. But, I'm wondering if there is something else that might work better for me. I appreciate any help you can offer!!!

Kim

Comments

• CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    I'd recommend Photoshop Elements. It is very powerful but also very easy to use. There are a few very nice things about starting with Elements: 1) It'll do everything you need. 2) As you learn and decide you're ready for photoshop, there won't be as much of a learning curve as the commands and workflow will be similar. 3) It's such a popular program that you'll have a HUGE library of online tutorials, books, and many here who use it or are familiar with it. 4) It's cheap. :D

I'm sure others will weigh in, and there are other good options, but you won't go wrong with Photoshop Elements (note, version 5 is the latest version if you're out shopping).

Cameron
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I would think PSE is your best bet. Other options I can think of are Picture Window Pro, Paint Shop Pro, GIMP. I looked at them before coughing up for PS.

Lightroom is more of a RAW converter-on-steroids, not a true image editor.
  • 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Kim,

I use GIMP myself and am pleased with the program. There is a stong usergroup at gug@sunsite.dk and a wealth of tutorials at http://gimpguru.org/Tutorials/

Won't cost you anything to try.

Andy
  • aam1234aam1234 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Agree with others, PSE is really all what you need at the moment. IMO, Photoshop CS2 is an overkill for most people.

Heard good things about GIMP too.
  • sunionesunione Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    DEFINITELY PS Elements. Especially if someday you want to move up to PS there will be an easier transition.
    Suni R
    http://artbysuni.smugmug.com/

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIGHT"
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    For even more power, check out Corel PaintShop Pro. It offers the ease of use of Elements, and the power of Photoshop, and you can get it for around $100 or less. Corel offers a 30 day trial, so go download it and check it out.

I have both PSP and Photoshop. I used PSP at first, and that really got me started. I bought Photoshop because I got a good deal, and because I got frustrated that most books, tutorials, hints and tips online are for Photoshop, and I have found learning the more advanced stuff easier with Photoshop, simply because there are so many resources available.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    If I were a beginner at digital photography and image editing but knew something about film and the darkroom, I'd consider LightZone. You can get a free trial. It would be especially good for someone who had taken a photography class at one time, since it's really based on Ansel Adams' way of thinking.

It's way different than the other options and doesn't particularly lead to some of the more advanced kinds of photo editing you can do with PhotoShop, for example. But I was really impressed by a demo this summer and found that I could get very nice results pretty easily.
    If not now, when?
  • kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Thank you so much, everyone, for your responses. I've asked for Photoshop Elements for x-mas, but I do plan on checking out some of the other programs you all have mentioned. I partly chose PSE because I found out that my local Technical college offers a 4 week (3 hr) class just two blocks from me. I was able to find babysitters for those weeks, so I'll have some time to really learn the program and have somewhere to ask questions in person. And, like many of you mentioned, if I do upgrade to PS some day, I'll have a basic knowledge to go on.

Thanks again!!! :)

Kim
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    kjs wrote:
    Thank you so much, everyone, for your responses. I've asked for Photoshop Elements for x-mas, but I do plan on checking out some of the other programs you all have mentioned. I partly chose PSE because I found out that my local Technical college offers a 4 week (3 hr) class just two blocks from me. I was able to find babysitters for those weeks, so I'll have some time to really learn the program and have somewhere to ask questions in person. And, like many of you mentioned, if I do upgrade to PS some day, I'll have a basic knowledge to go on.

Thanks again!!! :)

Kim

Good choice Kim and make sure to just play with it when you gt it too! get an idea of something you want to do. then post in here and you will get some great advice.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com