Batch processing

aam1234aam1234 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited December 7, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi,

Which software are you using for batch resizing and sharpening (both the same s/w).

Thanks

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Cs2
  • aam1234aam1234 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Unfortunatelly a lot of people don't have CS2.

Thanks for your reply though.
    edited December 6, 2006
    aam1234 wrote:
    Unfortunatelly a lot of people don't have CS2.

Thanks for your reply though.
    Sorry..im not with you. What do you mean by same s/w ?
  • 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    http://www.irfanview.com/

AndyW
    edited December 6, 2006
    I think maybe if you need help then you need to give people an idea of just what you expect comments on. Are you asking because you wish to buy a programme ? If so whats your budget ?

I said CS2 & you said a lot of people dont have it...well what are you actually asking for ? A prog that does what you have asked for but people have when you dont know what they have ???
    edited December 6, 2006
    Sorry for the late reply guys,

What I meant is that the same s/w can do both batch resizing and sharpening. Tried both PSE 4.0 and irfanview, but never batched successfully. Currently using ACDSee by batch resizing then sharpen each photo individually. Wish a s/w can do both in one process.

Appreciate your effort guys. Thank.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    There's a reason most of us have Photoshop & the product name has become an adjective. mwink.gif

I use CS with FocalBlade for sharpening & FM Resize Pro for resizing when I need resizing. Using the Batch command & Actions allows me to do it all with a couple of clicks if I wanted.
    edited December 6, 2006
    Thanks Chris.

It really comes down to batch sharpening as batch resizing is under control :D
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    edited December 7, 2006
    1andyw wrote:

Hi Andy,

irfanview says the batch was done successfully, however I can't find the output photos. Any idea where irfanview put the batched pics at.

Thanks
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    aam1234 wrote:
    Hi Andy,

irfanview says the batch was done successfully, however I can't find the output photos. Any idea where irfanview put the batched pics at.

Thanks

Click the batch conversion menu item. This brings up the page for entering details. Halfway down you will see a section called "Output directory" The entry there is persistant and will show where *you* wanted the files located. for the future, just remember to enter the location you require the converted files to go.

Anthony.
    edited December 7, 2006
    Thanks Anthony. Will sure try that.

Btw, how do you find irfanview for batching, and what setting do you use for sharpening (say for 800x600 photo).

Thanks again.
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    aam1234 wrote:
    Thanks Anthony. Will sure try that.

Btw, how do you find irfanview for batching, and what setting do you use for sharpening (say for 800x600 photo).

Thanks again.

I use the batching process in Irfanview (usually) just for converting from one file format to another. I have never used the "advanced features" but I just tried batching a few files and sharpening at the middle setting of 50 and the results were okay. If I was going to use this in a real world situation I would want to do some strength tests before commiting a whole pile of images in any way.

By the way, from what I can see, this is simple sharpening - which just about everone here, including me - would always steer clear of, as there are much better methods for this such as USM and smart sharpen in Photoshop CS2

Frankly if you want to do a few pictures then one-by-one is the best way and for many pictures, setting the camera up with the appropriate parameters and using jpeg would be best; then in the latter case, you would'nt need to post process at all.

That's my thoughts anyway. I am sure other people will chip in...

Anthony.
    edited December 7, 2006
    Thanks Anthony, appreciate your input.

Guess it's time to figure out how to batch USM in PSE.

Thanks again