A perfect dinner - living by photography

NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited December 8, 2006 in People
Well, the title says it all... we are living by photography.
115172114-L.jpg

115172092-L.jpg

115172082-L.jpg

115172077-L.jpg

:D

Comments

• Roy SRoy S Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2006
    I've been enjoying Dgrin for a little while now, just in the background. BUT, this REALLY deserves deserves a response.

GREAT, I'm glad that there are imaginative peopel around that can share themselves as you have.

Outstanding composition of thought! Let me guess, you guys actuall LIKE photography don't you?

hanks, somehow it just made my day - now I can tackle the rest of it.

Royclap.gifwings.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 6, 2006
    Fun idea and nicely executed. Good work. thumb.gif
  • kmhkmh Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    This is great -- I love it! -Kate
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Bravo! Very clever and well done! Thanks for the morning laugh....I hope that was a cheaper lens you were balancing in your spoon! rolleyes1.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    someone give this guy the $40 amazon gift certificate for winning a challenge that didn't exist.

These are simply wonderful. There is so much detail to pore over, from the reflections in the wine glass that look like film to the man buttering his negatives. #2 is my favorite...so whimsical and cute without being the least bit cute-SY.

These are so great I am almost embarrassed to point out that the horizon looks a degree off or so.

I would definitely buy a print of this and hang it somewhere to spark lively discussion!

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 6, 2006
    well done, thanks for the laugh! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    fantastic series! i would love to have prints of those on my wall. brilliant!bowdown.gif
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    These are hilarious! I jsut LOVE them!

I'd crop a tiny bit off the right of the first shot and then straighten them all and you've got an amazing, wonderful series!!

Nicely executed!
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Very nice! bowdown.gif and too funny!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Andreas,
    Nice photos with much imagination. :D
    Good work. :D

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Roy S wrote:
    hanks, somehow it just made my day - now I can tackle the rest of it.
    Royclap.gifwings.gif

Hi Roy!
    Welcome to the forum! :) Such a nice first post, thank you very much!

saurora wrote:
    Bravo! Very clever and well done! Thanks for the morning laugh....I hope that was a cheaper lens you were balancing in your spoon!

I'm glad it made you smile! :D
    And yes, it is a EF 50 MkII, which I think is the cheapest lens from Canon.
    I couldn't risk getting hot sauce on an L-lens... (not that I have one.) :D
    edited December 6, 2006
    urbanaries wrote:
    someone give this guy the $40 amazon gift certificate for winning a challenge that didn't exist.

These are simply wonderful. There is so much detail to pore over, from the reflections in the wine glass that look like film to the man buttering his negatives. #2 is my favorite...so whimsical and cute without being the least bit cute-SY.

These are so great I am almost embarrassed to point out that the horizon looks a degree off or so.

I would definitely buy a print of this and hang it somewhere to spark lively discussion!

bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Haha, thank you so much for the kind words! #2 is our favorite also.

You are right, the horizon is a bit off (my tripod is damaged ne_nau.gif), I noticed it too. I tried to straighten it, but then I would have to crop off a bit of the chairs. Hmm, I think I could find a way to do it if I play around with it a little longer.

The print is a good idea, we could hang it over our the table! :D
    edited December 6, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    fantastic series! i would love to have prints of those on my wall. brilliant!bowdown.gif

Thank you very much!
    DoctorIt wrote:
    well done, thanks for the laugh! thumb.gif

I'm really glad you enjoyed watching the pictures - we had a lot of fun taking them! rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 6, 2006
    These are hilarious! I jsut LOVE them!

I'd crop a tiny bit off the right of the first shot and then straighten them all and you've got an amazing, wonderful series!!

Nicely executed!

Thank you so much!
    Yes, I will try to straighten them out. I just didn't play around with them very long. I would never have tought that so many of you like this series so much! It makes me really glad! :D
    Andreas,
    Nice photos with much imagination. :D
    Good work. :D
    JimM wrote:
    Very nice! bowdown.gif and too funny!

Thanks a lot for your kind comments, guyes!!! clap.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Nordic wrote:
    Thank you so much!
    I would never have tought that so many of you like this series so much! It makes me really glad! :D
    There are many, many examples of great photos posted by DGrinners. Your's are well and deservedly numbered among that group! This is excellent work!
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I love it...very creative. thumb.gif
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    I Love it Andreas!!! Fantastic series.clap.gif I think the third one is my favorite, everytime I look at it, I seem to want to open my mouth to get a bite of that film too-Lol. Thanks for sharing!
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    Fascinating...
    You have to share with us how you set this up... ultra long remote, or running back and forth setting the self timer? Or am I wrong in assuming that one of the people in the photo was also the photographer? :-)
    edited December 7, 2006
    I Love it Andreas!!! Fantastic series.clap.gif I think the third one is my favorite, everytime I look at it, I seem to want to open my mouth to get a bite of that film too-Lol. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot!
    In case you want to try it yourself, I can recommend a good Merlot that goes really well with the film. Laughing.gif!!!

Seneca wrote:
    I love it...very creative. thumb.gif

Thank you! I don't know how I came up with this. I already had the idea a few month ago, but I thought it was too stupid until last week. :D
    Dee wrote:
    You have to share with us how you set this up... ultra long remote, or running back and forth setting the self timer? Or am I wrong in assuming that one of the people in the photo was also the photographer? :-)

Yes, you are right! The lens-lover was the photographer. :)

The setup was easy. A simple white wall in the background, minimalistic styling and props, and window light from the left side.

The camera was set up on a tripod, with a single speedlight on top of it, bouncing from the ceiling. I wanted a simple, uniform light.

The camera was connected to a laptop placed next the tripod and turned around so that we could see the screen. I used a remote controller (hidden in my left hand) with 2 second delay to trigger the camera, and the image was displayed on the laptop instantly. So we always had feedback when we tried out different poses, without running back and forth.

But, ok, there was some running back and forth involved until I got this all to work. It was great fun! :)
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 7, 2006
    neat to look at and appreciative of the work you had to do to set this up-

thanks for posting how you did this-

great!-
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Very creative and how wonderful to capture what you envisioned so well!! Thanks for sharing these and for sharing your process. clap.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Andreas,

I'm at odds with everyone who posted a response to these photos: I cannot really relate to them.

If these photographs were shot intended for "stock photography" than OK, they are technically very well done.

On another hand, if they were done as an artistic expression than they seem too clinical. If these images were to say "we live, breath and consume photography" than a more natural setting would probably carry a stronger message through.

Naturally everyone perceives art in their own unique way, thus I am not really criticising what you have done. I'm rather expressing my reaction to these images.
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    I love this, full of undertones. He wants what she's got and she wants what he's got. After all It is no fun playing with a lens with out a camera or vice versa mwink.gifwink

Stan
    edited December 8, 2006
    Elaine wrote:
    Very creative and how wonderful to capture what you envisioned so well!! Thanks for sharing these and for sharing your process. clap.gif

Elaine
    gefillmore wrote:
    gefillmore neat to look at and appreciative of the work you had to do to set this up-

thanks for posting how you did this-

great!-

You're welcome, and thanks for the nice comments! :D
    edited December 8, 2006
    Andreas,

I'm at odds with everyone who posted a response to these photos: I cannot really relate to them.

If these photographs were shot intended for "stock photography" than OK, they are technically very well done.

On another hand, if they were done as an artistic expression than they seem too clinical. If these images were to say "we live, breath and consume photography" than a more natural setting would probably carry a stronger message through.

Naturally everyone perceives art in their own unique way, thus I am not really criticising what you have done. I'm rather expressing my reaction to these images.

Hi Ted!

Thank you very much for commenting! clap.gif

I understand what you mean. I never thought of it that way. It would be interessting to reshoot this the way you suggested and compare the results. I'm curious of what version I would prefer!
    But somehow I see your more natural version before me... very interessting!

The minimalistic setting was intended, but that changed a bit during the session as we were having so much fun that we could not refrain from laughing. (compare #1 to the rest.) :D
    edited December 8, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    I love this, full of undertones. He wants what she's got and she wants what he's got. After all It is no fun playing with a lens with out a camera or vice versa mwink.gifwink

Stan

Laughing.gif, I just LOVE this interpretation!!!rolleyes1.gif

Thank you for posting this, it is great!

Too bad that it is, technically, not 100% correct. The camera she is enjoying is a Hapo 66E, and old medium format rangefinder, with a built in 80mm lens. nod.gif
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I noticed their incomptatbility but let it go. I enjoyed the joke

Stan