Options

Pre-printing portrait packages

ChrisNChrisN Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited December 6, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Does any one have any advice or experience with offering pre-printed packages? By that I am talking about where some companies that I have seen (including Olan Mills, Lifetouch, Wal-Mart and a few others) print an entire package of prints (usually 5-10 sheets) to show the client instead of small proofs. In the case of Wal-Mart I have heard they print additional poses to show when their customer pick up the cheap package. In lifetouch's case they actually send the package home with the parents and you are supposed to pay for those you want to keep and return any you don't want.

Right now I am shooting a lot of daycares and am very interested if it may help sales.

I see the following benefits:

A) They get to see the finished product and quality and an 8x10 (or larger) can be quite a bit more impressive than a wallet size proof.

B) It can be an impulse purchase and they get instant gratification. Also, some parent's just can't turn down a picture of their child like they can if they only see a small proof.

C) It may reduce turnaround time since I don't have to print proofs and then wait for orders before printing.

I also see the following risks:

A) You may have a lot of prints that don't sell and you have no use for.

B) The increased printing cost after accounting for the unsold prints. The large companies print their own so their cost per print is much cheaper, however I feel I can get my cost per print down considerably with the increased volume of prints I would be doing.

C) Additional sales time since I would want to be there when they see the proofs to help sell additional prints or upsell from a sheet or two to the whole package. Right now I send proofs home with parent's and pickup orders about a week later. I don't think I am ready to try what Lifetouch does and send home the prints because of worries about scanning.

Anyone who has tried this or worked for someone who has I would love to know how well it worked. How much did it increase sales? Are there any other benefits or pitfalls I should watch out for?

Chris