Keywords not visible on a password-protected site

cedricdcedricd Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited December 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
One of my smugmug sites is entirely password-protected. Some of the images in in that site have keywords on them, but the 'top X keywords' section on the home page is blank.

Now I know that keywords don't appear on password-protected galleries. I imagine that's because placing keywords for those photos on the homepage implicitly makes them public.

I'm not quite sure why keywords wouldn't work when the entire site is password protected. Is this a bug? Or is it because keywords are accessible from the Smugmug homepage? Either way, does anyone know if this issue is on Smugmug's radar to be fixed in the future?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    cedricd wrote:
    Is this a bug?

Hi, it's not a bug. More explained here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
  • cedricdcedricd Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, it's not a bug. More explained here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

From that page:
    Gotcha: Keywords have no effect on private or password-protected galleries, even if you enter them.

My galleries are neither private nor password-protected. Rather, the entire site is password-protected (famillegiraudier.smugmug.com). I know the gallery keyword issue has been discussed to death on these forums, but this is different. Would you be able to comment why I can't see keywords on the homepage of my private site?
    edited December 6, 2006
    cedricd wrote:
    Would you be able to comment why I can't see keywords on the homepage of my private site?

It's the same concept. Keywords do not work on a passworded site, either. That's all really well explained here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/site-security

If you have questions after reading the help page, let me know. Thanks!
  • cedricdcedricd Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2006
    Thanks for the link. I really do appreciate the quick responses :D. I may be asking for too much here, but I think it would be cool if you guys could make this work. It seems somewhat straightforward - banish the keywords from appearing on Smugmug itself, but show them inside the particular site.

Consider this a humble feature request... I fully understand that it may simply be difficult for Smugmug to implement.
    edited December 6, 2006
    cedricd wrote:
    Thanks for the link. I really do appreciate the quick responses :D. I may be asking for too much here, but I think it would be cool if you guys could make this work. It seems somewhat straightforward - banish the keywords from appearing on Smugmug itself, but show them inside the particular site.

Consider this a humble feature request... I fully understand that it may simply be difficult for Smugmug to implement.
    It is rather difficult. Thanks. It's also been asked before, we have it on the list of "wants" by you and some other posters. I can't promise if it will ever happen though, sorry.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I agree
    cedricd wrote:

I agree. For those of us who have to use password protection for some or all of our galleries, it is a major shame that we can't use any keyword functionality at all. It's a bummer to lose some of Smugmug's nice features just because the target audience needs some form of access control. I get why you have to keep keywords from protected photos out of global indexes, but not why they can't be used locally like Cedric requests.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • TlonTlon Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    I'd just like to throw my vote into the ring for this feature. I know when I was programming a lot, I would sometimes make choices to go down one path for a particular function that then made it difficult to reverse direction, but from a user perspective it really is a shame to have to choose between password protection and keywords. Both are really useful, especially when you lose additional things, such as virtual galleries, that are possible with keywords and in no other way. Maybe a different type of keyword implementation for localized keywords to a particular site?
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Me too
    This has come up for me, too. I'm trying to make a "virtual gallery" of all my favorites by adding the keyword "gregfave" to those photos. I'm seeing now, of course, that only the non-passworded galleries' photos are showing up.

Here's my feature request... Allow smugmuggers to specify a list of password-bypassing keywords. Images tagged with a keyword on that list would be viewable by keyword-galleries, but still protected within their "home" galleries.

I can imagine this would be difficult, but hey, nothing ventured...:D
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    It's been asked for... all the discussion has been done... it goes way back...

it's all here...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6021&page=3
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    Discussion is not done
    dmc wrote:

it's all here...

I'm not sure the intent of your words above, but the discussion is not done.

Users want some functionality that Smugmug does not have. It should be perfectly fine to request that functionality. That's the only way that Smugmug knows that new users continue to come along that want that functionality.

In this particular case:

It should be possible to have a site password and still have keyword functionality within your site and not compromise any privacy or password protection issues.

It should be possible to have a virtual gallery function that still respects password controls on the contents (particularly if everything in the virtual gallery is protected by the same password - which is my particular need).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm not sure the intent of your words above, but the discussion is not done.
    trust me, I really want this feature... just wanted to let others know it has be pounded on already and many many good ideas have already been produced.

sure, we can talk about it again.... but... (nahhhh, it's Christmas season.. I'd better stop now)
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2006
    dmc wrote:

it's all here...

Thanks for the link; it was good to read the background.