how to shoot without a card

ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited December 9, 2006 in Cameras
I had a guy ask me how he could shoot without a card in his cannon 30d. I said I saw no reason but he said there must be a way. Does anyone know if you shoot with out a compact flash card if you can empty the buffer via the usb port.

ps I hope this makes sense because it doesn't as I read it

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 7, 2006
    If you mean activate the shutter, it's a custom function (like the 1D).
    Take a gander through the custom functions or manual to see which one
    it is.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    ysr612 wrote:
    I hope this makes sense because it doesn't as I read it
    I agree, it's a very confusing question.

A 'cannon' is defined in my dictionary as 'a large, heavy piece of artillery formerly used in warfare'. Rather than using a USB port for emptying the buffer, I'd suggest a trowel and rubber gloves because it could be a little messy up there. :D

If the question refers to a 'Canon', I suggest you lodge it with this fellow. He may just advise the guy to get back on his medication, but he might take the question seriously and have an undocumented suggestion to offer. mwink.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 7, 2006
    ysr612 wrote:
    I had a guy ask me how he could shoot without a card in his cannon 30d. I said I saw no reason but he said there must be a way. Does anyone know if you shoot with out a compact flash card if you can empty the buffer via the usb port.

ps I hope this makes sense because it doesn't as I read it

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. You can shoot a 20D (and almost certainly a 30D) tethered to a computer without a CF card in the camera. Just run a cable between the camera's USB port and the computer, then use the Canon EOS Capture utility that came with the camera. The pics are uploaded as you shoot them. Is this what you were looking for?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. You can shoot a 20D (and almost certainly a 30D) tethered to a computer without a CF card in the camera. Just run a cable between the camera's USB port and the computer, then use the Canon EOS Capture utility that came with the camera. The pics are uploaded as you shoot them. Is this what you were looking for?
    15524779-Ti.gif , it is not possible on a 30d to shoot a few shots first, then connect it to the computer and transfer the images.

This may be a stupid question, but why would you want to do that in the first place? why not just put a card in?
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif , it is not possible on a 30d to shoot a few shots first, then connect it to the computer and transfer the images.

This may be a stupid question, but why would you want to do that in the first place? why not just put a card in?

More memory? Readily avaible images? Infinite buffer?
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    EOS Capture and tethered shooting is indeed what you want. The benefit to this is you can see the picture immediately on a large giant computer monitor, and from within EOS Capture I think you can do some minor adjustments as well. Much better than chimping, especially if doing critical studio work. And much faster than "shoot, remove card, download card, open image, re-insert card, format card, repeat". :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif Just make sure you have the 30D set to allow shooting with no card in the slot, and make sure the eos utility is not set to save the shots to camera and computer, just the computer.
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    So that's what I'm doing wrong...

I've been shooting to 2 years into thin air. I haven't captured an image yet. I thought they were just floating around my basement and would eventually end up on smugmug rolleyes1.gif

Is this canon capture software on the CD that came with the Camera by chance?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 8, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:

Is this canon capture software on the CD that came with the Camera by chance?

Yep. In the EOS Viewer utility choose Option->EOS Capture.
  • limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    I've been shooting to 2 years into thin air. I haven't captured an image yet. I thought they were just floating around my basement and would eventually end up on smugmug rolleyes1.gif

Hehe, wouldn't it be great if that darned "print" button on the 30D was a magic "send to smugmug" button. Oooooh that would be sweet.