End of an Era - Obituary

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited December 10, 2006 in People
Hiya folks. Don't know where else to post this, but given that its about my father I thought "People" might be the best place.

A little while ago I posted that I'd been accepted onto an MA in Photography. Unfortunately I had to withdraw because my father was very ill. He has since died & I've been dealing with the funeral etc.

He had been a photographer for many years, having been encouraged as a young man by a youth leader to take it up. Apparently he studied at the famour Regents Street college and even worked for Tony Armstrong-Jones(Lord Snowden), although the money wasn't great enough to encourage him to stay (mores the pity). He joined the BBC & worked in Stills and in Colour control & worked there for many years. He's even in one of the old archive pictures from Alexandra Palace. He even processed the film of the Aberffan disaster. He used to take photos of the local playgroup kids & I have fond memories of b/w prints hanging over the bath to dry.

He had a large collection of old cameras including bellows & plate cameras which is fascinating. If anything of interest comes up I'll let you know. Or if you have suggestions of what to do with them, let me know.

He had an old enlarger & I'm hoping to have a go at developing my own prints at home, something I haven't done since I was at college. Its going to be interesting, blacking out my bathrom & stocking up with dev & fix. Those smells will bring back so many memories of visiting him at the Beeb, walking round the huge developing machines, watching the miles & miles of film going through the baths, going round all the studios watching actors rehearsing their programs, visiting the wardrobe ladies & bumping into famous people in the bar.

God Speed Dad & Rest in Peace.

Love Nic
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 7, 2006
    hi nic-

the main thing that my father passed on to me was the love of photography-

I'm sorry for your loss-

may you always have good memories of your dad-

I was glad you posted this-

best
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    It is unfortunate he has passed on to a better place. It is very fortunate that he passed on his love and passion in photography. This is obviously on of many places his memory will live on.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Oh very sad news i am really sorry for your loss.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    I am so very sorry for your loss. Wonderful to know how much he was loved and respected, though.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Sorry for your loss, Nic. I'm so glad you have this love of photography to share and that you will be using his enlarger to develop your own prints at home. I'm sure time spent in the darkroom will also feel like special time spent with your dear Dad, even though he's no longer here. Looking forward to your posts!
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Thanks for your condolences
    I'd like to say thank you for all the messages of condolence that people sent.

Here's the last photo I took of my father, taken in July this year, enjoying lunch at a summer event & whizzing round on his scooter:

115891603-L.jpg

I just wish he'd been looking at the camera slightly more. It wasn't posed as such, I was just taking pics of the attendees, so very much a candid shot. BUt I was please as the light was very harsh & bright, but I still managed to get something reasonable.

Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    Sorry to hear of your loss! :(:

But glad to see he passed on something to you that you will cherish for the rest of your days....Photography!
    I'm sure He was pleased that you took on something He enjoyed.

I'd hang onto the old cameras as they will never go down in value.
    Sentimental value is priceless!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/