Options

Mac or PC?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 10, 2006
    back on topic.

My apologies to the OP, just want you to not have any unjustified bias when you go to make your decision. You'll have ups and downs to either side. Mac's will be easier to maintain, but if your users are used to PC's they will have a bit of a learning curve to overcome before they are as productive as they are in Windows. Some folks may not want to deal with that.

Most PC's you'll buy from major manufacturers will have an upgrade option to Vista, so you'll be good to go if you buy now, or wait a few months and you can get Vista preinstalled. Vista is a fine OS, a step up from XP for sure. It has a lot more user controls (on by default) that can be used to lock down the system from meddling users.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    so by that definition, does that mean that you didn't immunise your children since the risk of exposure to most of the vaccinated illnesses is on the decline ?

They're not getting a smallpox vaccination, that's for sure. Because like Mac Viruses, it's just not present in the wild. Only in laboratories. It's just not worth the time. A good backup is all you need right now. And when a backup is no longer enough, then I'll look into virus software. For now I'm enjoying not having to worry about it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    They're not getting a smallpox vaccination, that's for sure. Because like Mac Viruses, it's just not present in the wild. Only in laboratories. It's just not worth the time. A good backup is all you need right now. And when a backup is no longer enough, then I'll look into virus software. For now I'm enjoying not having to worry about it.
    FWIW I dont run virus software on my PC. Just like your smallpox analogy, I'm smart enough to not stand barefoot in medical waste.

Never had a virus.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    so in that same vein, OS X must be a memory hog too? 1) nobody in their right mind would run XP with 128MB of RAM.

I agree, but to me, the disparity in requirements shows that it is likely that the different amount of ram hogishness were not simply caused by the Vista being a beta. XP is kinda a hog too btw...there's no reason an operating system should use much ram at all...just imagine how fast 95 would run with modern spec'd machines.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    FWIW I dont run virus software on my PC. Just like your smallpox analogy, I'm smart enough to not stand barefoot in medical waste.

Never had a virus.

See? There you go. I have something in common with my PC brethren. That's all I'm saying, BTW. I know that any system can be infected. They haven't been able/wiling to infect Macs yet, but that's no guarantee.

The big difference is that Lee is smart enough to outwit 100k viruses, while at the moment I don't have to outwit them at all. Just backup, which I should be doing, anyway.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    I agree, but to me, the disparity in requirements shows that it is likely that the different amount of ram hogishness were not simply caused by the Vista being a beta. XP is kinda a hog too btw...there's no reason an operating system should use much ram at all...just imagine how fast 95 would run with modern spec'd machines.

This is no pro-Mac argument here, but I thought I'd mention that every version of OSX has been faster than the last. So your 5 year old machine is faster today than when you bought it.

A good part of the reason for that is that OSX was dog slow when they first released it. version 10.0 was more of a beta than anything.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Windows 95 memory management was horrible. 98 got better, 2k got better, XP got better and Vista is even better with memory management. But since you seem to think that an advanced operating system shouldnt require advanced hardware, I wish you good luck with Win95 and it's 4MB required RAM.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Windows 95 memory management was horrible. 98 got better, 2k got better, XP got better and Vista is even better with memory management. But since you seem to think that an advanced operating system shouldnt require advanced hardware, I wish you good luck with Win95 and it's 4MB required RAM.

Well yeah, management was horrible, but there were 3rd party softwares for that. And nothing is 95 compatible anymore dammit. I don't see why the OS should be using resources, let the advanced software I run do that, all I want my OS to do is provide me a point and click interface...actually, if it would give me performance gains I'd go back to the command prompt.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 10, 2006
    did someone call about a hijacking ?
    r3948_9129.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Well yeah, management was horrible, but there were 3rd party softwares for that. And nothing is 95 compatible anymore dammit. I don't see why the OS should be using resources, let the advanced software I run do that, all I want my OS to do is provide me a point and click interface...actually, if it would give me performance gains I'd go back to the command prompt.
    You're just making silly talk now. You're saying an OS shouldnt handle user management, security, performance or resource management?

And there's a reason nothing is 95 compatible anymore, it's called progress.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    did someone call about a hijacking ?

r3948_9129.jpg
    I'm done.
  • Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    so by that definition, does that mean that you didn't immunise your children since the risk of exposure to most of the vaccinated illnesses is on the decline ?

It's much more difficult to back up your children.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius