New to Digital Grin & DSLR's

DigiGrinDigiGrin Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited December 11, 2006 in Cameras
Wow .. what a great place !!! :barb

Been lurking for Ohhhh .. a few hours .. found you though a google search for lighting. ha!
I'm not gonna lurk any longer .. I'm jumpin right in ...

I've been behind the lens for over 26 years .. up until now, behind the medium format
of 7 Pentax 6x7's and a bunch of lenses .. oh and, 3 Metz 60CT1 powerhouse's ..
They are too much for my new Canon XT .. correct? .. sigh ..

I'm lovin this digital so much to the point to where .. welllll .. I'm kina thinking of selling off
all the 6x7 stuff .. woah .. some L glass .. and then some .. :D

I'll have lots of questions .. soon .. so uhh, no flaming me ok? :rolleyes

Great to Be Here !!!

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    wave.gif

Welcome!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 7, 2006
    No flames here, so relax. This is a friendly place. :D

Cheers,
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Welcome :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    We don't flame here, no worries! Welcome aboard thumb.gif

Looking forward to seeing your work and learning from your experience deal.gif
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    Hey DigiGrin,

I'm pretty new here myself; welcome aboard from another newb. I've also been shooting for nearly 30 years, 95% amatuer. It's my longest-lasting, favoritest hobby.

Do you have a website? If not, set up a SmugMug account. That way you can store, display, sell all your great photos.

I saw your WTB on the flea market for the BG-E3. Hope one comes through. I just bought mine last week, but my adoring wife insists on wrapping it and keeping it beneath a tree for the next three weeks. Hmpf.

Let's see some pictures!
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 7, 2006
    DigiGrin wrote:
    .. oh and, 3 Metz 60CT1 powerhouse's ..
    They are too much for my new Canon XT .. correct? .. sigh ..

If you are concerned about trigger voltage, you can purchase the Wein Safe Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe, a great way to add protection plus a PC connector to your Canon dRebel XT/350D.

I use it with the Sunpak 611 flash and it works great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=245292&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DigiGrinDigiGrin Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Hey DigiGrin,

I'm pretty new here myself; welcome aboard from another newb.
    Hey Tommy ... thanks .. thumb.gif

Yeah, I bought the 350D from a Bride and Groom I worked with earlier this year ..
    I did their wedding, and later *roamed* around with her XT .. I couldnt believe it!
    I could'nt take a bad pic .. lol. Every mode I put it in, seemed great .. got me to thinking ..
    So, he bought her the new XTi, and sold me the XT for $500 with the kit lens
    and everything that came in the box .. including the warrantee. :ivar

I quickly purchased an ef 28-105 (the japan macro one) and have'nt looked back ..
    Thing is .. I may sell allll my 6x7 Pentax's and keep my Metz 60CT4 per Ziggy's link.
    Another body and some other lens(s) may be just what the Dr prescribed ..

Nope .. no web site .. and errr, uhh pics? You wanna see pics? Hmmm .. I'm so lazy ..
    I'll see what I cant put together here soon .. no promises .. lol .. but most of my work
    is Brides .. and I do work quite a bit with models .. ehh, it pays the bills ..

Thanks to all for the warm welcome .. :D
    edited December 8, 2006
    Ehh, just a quick comp card .. that I shove in everyone's faces that I meet .. :D

3b377bd9.jpg
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Very nice images! We don't flame here, and while you may be new to digital it's obvious you’re not new to photography.

All you need to learn is the new electronic, computer. Prints stuff, you already have the photo knowledge.

This is nice friendly, helpful place.

Welcome,

Sam
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 8, 2006
    Is this also you?

6756d599.jpg

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 8, 2006
    Hahaha .. Ziggy .. I can see that nothing gets by youuu .. thumb.gif
    Errr, yep .. that would be moi ..

Tomi
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Hi Tomi, nice to meet you! :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
    edited December 8, 2006
    Hello Jen .. nice to meet you as well .. neighbor .. biggrinbounce2.gif

Tomi
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    those are certainly different from most of the images we get from Florida rolleyes1.gif

Welcome
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Hey Tomi,

Thanks for coming on the board. I'm not new to DSLR's, but I'm a lot newer to photography than you are, and its nice to have folks about with a lot of shooting experience to learn from. It's not all about the gear.

I would hesitate to get rid of your medium format gear. Not only is there the pleasure of occasionally shooting film (which I do with my Pentacon), but in a few years those MF bodies may come back into vogue, and up in price. It's only a matter of time until digital backs get into the reasonable price range that normal folks can afford- then all the advantages of your current MF gear and glass will be married to digital ease. If you sell them now, you might regret it later. I'm thinking about picking up a used hassy myself, while they're still cheap.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Welcome Tomi! Wow great work!

Enjoy the XT and please let us know if anything is missing comming from MF world. I heard (read) that MF people usually complain lack of resolution of the DSLR, the small/dark view finder etc..I am sure there is a lot we can learn from you!

Eric
    edited December 9, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Hey Tomi,
    I would hesitate to get rid of your medium format gear. Not only is there the pleasure of occasionally shooting film (which I do with my Pentacon), but in a few years those MF bodies may come back into vogue, and up in price.
    You know .. you could be right about that .. and errr, I kina hope you're not .. lol
    I cant believe you've got the Pentacon .. wow .. niiice
    Thanks for chiming in regarding my selling off the 6x7 stuff .. I'll see how this goes ..
    RedSox wrote:
    Welcome Tomi! Wow great work! Enjoy the XT and please let us know if anything is missing comming from MF world. I heard (read) that MF people usually complain lack of resolution of the DSLR, the small/dark view finder etc..I am sure there is a lot we can learn from you! Eric
    Wow .. you folks are awesome !!! I come here looking for advice and help .. and errr, you folks wanna learn from me? Uh ohhh .. heheh ..
    Seriously .. I studied at Santa Monica Fine Arts, and never finished with Brook's Institute,
    before being picked up by my mentor, Richard Wiley, an accredited Master Craftsman,
    who before retiring .. ran a half a million dollar a year Wedding business ..

I always said that when it became no fun, I too would also hang up the darkroom apron, and pass the torch.
    About 7 years ago, I left Hawaii, my homestate, in pursuit of another dream.
    I attended the USGA/TF schools, and passed my PAT's to turn golf pro .. and am now employed by The PGA.
    I've further invested time in educating myself in the field of club building and repair.
    I've attended the PCS school from Mitchell Golf, and am now also a qualified PCS to boot!

I have never really left the view finder though, and still do quite a bit of work ..
    (nothing like I did when I owned my studio) and from time to time, do the occasional *up-scale* Wedding.
    I was fortunate enough to shoot Tracy and Josh McCumber when they were married in Jacksonville,
    and even played a part in directing the actual event.

I belong to several web-sites that promote photographers and models, and still work with
    aspiring/established women of all ages. I simply cant put down the camera's .. lol
    Now that digital has become what it has .. and one of my clients sold me their 350D .. I'm really excited again
    (I cant believe I have'nt made a piss poor image yet .. lmao!)

I look foward to more lenses .. the EF 28-105 that I just purchased has far exceeded my expectations ..
    faaaaassst in terms of focus, and super duper sharp .. I really love it when working with a head shot,
    or even 3/4 swimwear shots at sunset or sunrise .. phenomenal lens!

All in all, yes, I do keep myself quite busy .. the golf industry here in florida is like what the surfing industry
    is to Hawaii .. lol.
    I've also been showing work aound the PGA Headquarters, shots that I've made of courses,
    or paticular holes that stand out, and .. err, I may have a new *niche* .. hahaaa ..

Whew .. I'm amazed at the response my *newbie* thread has received .. and flattered
    to think that I myself could be of any assistance in any way .. thanks .. :D

One thing tho ..errr, what is this MF World you speak of? And uhh, are there any hot babes there ..
    with great golf courses, and nice white sand beaches .. ?

Tomi
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    DigiGrin wrote:
    I cant believe you've got the Pentacon .. wow .. niiice
    It's sort of a photographic hair shirt. I figured it would enforce discipline on me and make me a better photographer. I guess it has worked, although the quick feedback of the DSLR has been better.

Frame spacing's a bitch, but I have a soviet fetish, so there you are.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    ^^ rolleyes1.gif I kind of had the same line of thought, though not as severe--I went with a Mamiya. I'll echo his second thoughts on selling the MF gear. Check what you will get back out of it, you probably won't like it too much--it's a buyer's market right now (good for me, bad for you).

BTW, welcome to dgrin.
    edited December 11, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I have a soviet fetish, so there you are.
    Hahaa .. I like Russian women too .. :D
    Oh, you mean errr, nevermind .. heheheh ..

Yeah, Claude .. I've been watching some bids on eBay on the 6x7 stuff .. whew ..
    what a beating I could take .. oh well, I want another body, and maybe another lens ..
    something along the lines of the 70-200 .. and I gotta KNOW that my Metz 60CT4
    will work with a safe sync .. Ziggy sent me a link .. and I PM'd him, and he back to me ..
    I'm still waiting for someone else to try it first .. lol .. I dont wanna fry my 350D this soon .. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone ..

Tomi