A fear of high ISO...

2»

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited December 15, 2006

Photography is filled with artifacts of the mechanics of capturing an image. It adds character, depth, tangibility (is that a word?). Be expunging photography of every last artifact, you sterilize it and wind up with McPhotos, that, while they may get the job done, won't reach great heights of novelty and emotion the way an imperfect image can and historically has.

McPhotos?rolleyes1.gif

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I got busy for a while.

"The Decisive Moment" is one of the most famous photographs of all time, and it is filled with elements which could be distracting, if it weren't for the overpowering "story" of the image.

Would anyone cast dispersions about this iconic masterpiece?:

(Caution, not for slow connections.)
    http://www.kb.dk/fotomuseum/presse/billeder/jpeg/ob_cartier_opslag.jpeg

The world would be a much better place, if people would just make pictures, beautiful pictures, and not worry so much about the "how". It will come to you as you learn. (Ubiquitous "you".)

High ISO is just another capability to understand and exploit, but nothing to fear.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    I had a quick go at ISO 1600 just for fun, it's not too bad, need some noise reduction in PS and I wouldn't want to print it too large but then I did miss the exposure slightly, despite my own advice, Doh!

117025973-M.jpg

Charlie
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    You missed the point entirely
    thebigsky wrote:
    I had a quick go at ISO 1600 just for fun, it's not too bad, need some noise reduction in PS and I wouldn't want to print it too large but then I did miss the exposure slightly, despite my own advice, Doh!Charlie

Go higher, use ISO 3200, don't use noise reduction, and print it as big as you possibly can. Then view it from a comfortable distance and marvel at how good it looks and how real it looks :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited December 16, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The world would be a much better place, if people would just make pictures, beautiful pictures, and not worry so much about the "how". It will come to you as you learn. (Ubiquitous "you".)

Perfect!!!
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    McPhotos?rolleyes1.gif

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I got busy for a while.

"The Decisive Moment" is one of the most famous photographs of all time, and it is filled with elements which could be distracting, if it weren't for the overpowering "story" of the image.

Would anyone cast dispersions about this iconic masterpiece?:

(Caution, not for slow connections.)
    http://www.kb.dk/fotomuseum/presse/billeder/jpeg/ob_cartier_opslag.jpeg

High ISO is just another capability to understand and exploit, but nothing to fear.

ziggy53

Well said. I also like to point to two others in this vein, one is also HCB & similar--the woman jumping over a puddle off a sidewalk. The other is the shot on D-Day of the soldier jumping behind cover (the emotion of the moment overpowers the fact that it's a technical disaster photographically speaking). I don't recall the names, but they are such iconic images I am certain we've all seen them & you all know which ones I am describing.

We are getting stuck with trying to be technically perfect & forget the story in the image. I know I have become guilty of that & am now struggling to get over it & just take the picture.
    edited December 20, 2006
    The power went out. The photos exhibit just about every flaw known to man hehehe
    ISO 3200, f/1.8, 1/30th of a second hand held at night, no flash:
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?p=444650#post444650

You gotta do what you gotta do. And you gotta not feel bad about doing it mwink.gif
  • seawolf66seawolf66 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Elaine : I think nothing of shoot at ISO 400 or 800 during the day light none what so ever its just getting use to it and remenbering how adjust for what you shooting thats All: attached a flower shoot at ISO400
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks! Yes, it takes practice...I'm slowly getting there! Thanks for the great examples, too.
    seawolf66-

“the farther back we look the farther forward we see.”—A. Theodore Kachel
    http://www.lauren-macintosh.com