Grey market

scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited December 13, 2006 in Cameras
What is everyones opinion on buying a grey market camera? If you could get a 5D body for around $1800 or a 30D for $1000 would you do it? Is the lack of warranty the only disadvantage, or are there others?
:scratch
thanks

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    AFAIK the warranty is the only difference & it's basically because the vendor imported the camera instead of the manufacturer's importer (e.g., a grey market 5D at B&H would be imported from Japan by B&H instead of B&H buying it from Canon's US distributor). From what I've read Canon typically still honors the warranty anyway. Though I have no direct experience with that myself, so take it with a grain of salt. :)
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    A 5D for only $1800? Dang, where can I get one of those?!eek7.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    $1800 what :jawdrop ?
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    Huh, missed the pricing mentioned. I have a suspicion that price is sourced from one of the NJ scam places we always warn people against.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    B&H has the 30d (US warranty) for $1070 after Canon's rebate. I'd pony up the extra $70 for piece of mind.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    B&H has the 30d (US warranty) for $1070 after Canon's rebate. I'd pony up the extra $70 for piece of mind.

Good advice even if it is grey market.
    Grey market is also known as parrallel import. As others have stated, directly imported bypassing the "Official" importer. Warranty may be the main issue but be aware there are also "faulty" imports being sold. Some have come in with serial numbers changed, (possibly stolen goods) so it is always important to do lots of research and ask lots of questions. EBay can be a tricky place to buy for the unwarey. I buy from a local importer of parallel imports. They come sealed in boxes and with 12 months warranty supplied by the manufaturer or his own warranty company. We can buy extended warranty of up to 3 years which is sold by the reparing company so all is above board. While Canon may carry out the warranty work, don't expect it to be done promptly. They can tell from the serial numbers where it came from and although they wont admit it, the "grey ones" are usually put to the back and worked on last. That has been our experience here in Australia anyway.

But sometime if the price really seems to good to be true, BE CAREFULL. Parrallel import prices should be about 35% cheaper. If they are getting more to the 50% cheaper mark I would be suspicious.