Options

Concert Poster. Suggestions?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Exactly. Something to make it a "must see" event or at least express that feeling in the poster.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Looking good sid thumb.gif

One question/comment(s) - To me it looks like the "CJs Landing in Buckhead" text is being revealed by the page curl. Is this the look you were going for? If so, I'd recomend getting rid of the white halo around the C & J and let the page curl shadow flow over them. In addition the G in LANDING is out past the right edge of the "page". My slightly eratic brain goes through the following process: Ok, the "CJs LANDING IN BUCKHEAD" text is underneath the page -> the page is curled up revealing the text -> the right edge of the text is past the right edge of the page -> if the page wasn't curled the last bit of LANDING would still be visible -> why would only the last bit of LANDING be visible but not the rest of the text?-> why? -> why? -> wh...........

FYI on my crummy LCD monitor the bottom left corner of the "page" pretty much blends into the background. I was going to suggest that you modify the gradient on the page to prevent that, but I took a look at the poster on the LaCie and I saw that there is an edge there. You might want to make sure that the edge shows up on your final output device.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Looking good sid thumb.gif

One question/comment(s) - To me it looks like the "CJs Landing in Buckhead" text is being revealed by the page curl. Is this the look you were going for? If so, I'd recomend getting rid of the white halo around the C & J and let the page curl shadow flow over them. In addition the G in LANDING is out past the right edge of the "page". My slightly eratic brain goes through the following process: Ok, the "CJs LANDING IN BUCKHEAD" text is underneath the page -> the page is curled up revealing the text -> the right edge of the text is past the right edge of the page -> if the page wasn't curled the last bit of LANDING would still be visible -> why would only the last bit of LANDING be visible but not the rest of the text?-> why? -> why? -> wh...........

FYI on my crummy LCD monitor the bottom left corner of the "page" pretty much blends into the background. I was going to suggest that you modify the gradient on the page to prevent that, but I took a look at the poster on the LaCie and I saw that there is an edge there. You might want to make sure that the edge shows up on your final output device.

Excellent! Thanks for taking a look, Cletus. I softened the bottom left so it wouldn't conflict with the fonts I put there. I'll take another look. Interesting about the shadow on CJ's, I deliberately put a glow on the font so that it wouldn't be obscured by the shadow. But you're right, logically it should be in the shadow.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    No point in having a horse if you can't beat it dead. Here's version 6, I think. Cletus, I tried to add more edge to the bottom left, I hope it shows enough.

13903527-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 8, 2005
    Waxy! This one's lookin' pretty good...but...you need to rotate the "Live"
    so that it's either level or similar in rotation to the other text.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Waxy! This one's lookin' pretty good...but...you need to rotate the "Live"
    so that it's either level or similar in rotation to the other text.

Ian
    Thanks Ian. Hmmm, I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. I'm thinking it needs to counterbalance the direction of the main title. I'll try it the other way, but I must admit I was admiring myself for having instinctively rotated it the way I have it! :D
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    I dunno, ian, I think it's better the other way.

13913056-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    No point in having a horse if you can't beat it dead. Here's version 6, I think. Cletus, I tried to add more edge to the bottom left, I hope it shows enough.
    Waxy,

Looks good thumb.gif

I think having the shadow on top of the CJ's looks good. What do you think???
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I dunno, ian, I think it's better the other way.
    I suggested the rotation because the two lines of text created an arrow
    point drawing the eye away from the main subject.

I like this version. Maybe creating a taller "L" followed by text that forms
    a flat bottomed "V" at the "E!"?

Regardless of how the live ends up, I think you've done a wonderful job
    creating the poster.

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    Waxy,

Looks good thumb.gif

I think having the shadow on top of the CJ's looks good. What do you think???
    nod.gif Yup, I agree. thanks for suggestions, they all made a lot of sense.

In fact, thanks to everyone for their feedback, the thing's obviously been transformed thanks to your keen feedback.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I suggested the rotation because the two lines of text created an arrow
    point drawing the eye away from the main subject.

I like this version. Maybe creating a taller "L" followed by text that forms
    a flat bottomed "V" at the "E!"?

Regardless of how the live ends up, I think you've done a wonderful job
    creating the poster.

Ian
    Thanks again, ian. The reason I like the Live rotated in a direction that's opposite to the large title, is that it seems to enclose everything and give it balance. With the two leaning in the same direction, it all looks open-ended to the right, to my eye.

I sure do appreciate the time you've taken to look and critique, it's been incredibly helpful. thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I sure do appreciate the time you've taken to look and critique, it's been incredibly helpful. thumb.gif
    And thanks for sharing your ideas. Been a good learning experience all around!

Ian