Charlie & Nicole

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited December 8, 2006 in People
From last weekend...I am having trouble getting consistent color. I set to Cloudy b/c the room had a lot of sunlight, some of them came out nice, others too warm. Do I just need to bite the bullet and get an Expodisc? What are my alternatives?
1.115296456-M-1.jpg
2.115295034-M.jpg
3.115294822-M.jpg

4.115297545-M.jpg

5.115300424-M.jpg
6.115461027-M.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    these are a little warm for my taste. #3 is a great capture, i like the angle and the smile, but a closer crop might be good.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    There are some nice shots here! Definitely too warm, but I still like the photos and they are definitely saveable.

Have you taken a look at Lightroom? Even if you aren't using RAW (which is all I use), lightroom has some great tools to adjust lighting that I think are easier than Photoshop. (Not sure what you're using so you might have some good tools in your program, too.)

With Lightroom, I'd use the eye dropper and click on one of their black shirts and see what it looked like. If it were close, I'd then make some minor adjustments to the color and then apply those adjustments to all of them. After they are color corrected, I'd do B&W or whatever. (I always color correct and fix exposure before I do anything else. I find that I get better results that way.)

Here's an example. (Let me know if you want me to take it down! :D)

115630208-M.jpg

115630212-M.jpg

115630218-M.jpg

In the first two, I just clicked on his shirt and that was pretty close. I warmed it up a *tad* and I think it's still a little off, but it's closer. Then I just applied my preset for warm B&W and applied a small tone curve to all. Very easy. And would look much better on the originals!

As a side note, I just ordered some WhiBal cards - I'll be happy to let you know if I like them! Cheaper than an ExpoDisc and seems to be easy to use. I'm all for the cheaper way! (And it's gotten good reviews.)

HTH!

Oh! I'm sorry... GREAT photos! You really capture personality well!