Options

20D flash

Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited January 8, 2005 in Accessories
I have wanted to get a external flash... what do you think of the canon speed lite 580ex? I almost never use flash and the flash on the camera works great... but you always have times were people won't hold still in low light and need to use a flash to capture the moment.
www.dipphoto.com
All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    I love my 580E, I am in the habit if keeping the head at 75 degrees, using the bounce card but not the diffuser, and underexposing by 1/3 stop. All my work is amazing since doing that! In fact for New Year's I just put the camera down and anyone who wanted to used it. Even the point and shoot shots looked great! One thing I did notice with my NiMh batteries...when they die, they die fast. I was having 1-2 second recycle times and then in one shot it took 20 seconds to recycle. Be sure to have extras on you, and we normally all do.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    thank you.
    that flash can also act as a master for another flash right?
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 2, 2005
    that flash can also act as a master for another flash right?
    Yep Aaron, it can be used a a master. Whether you choose to have it fire, or not.

FWIW, I am really liking my 580EX. I had some problems with my NIMHs until I got a couple of recharges on them. Now they last quite awhile before giving me long "flash ready" times. But, it's always a wise decision to carry an extra set.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    The 580EX rocks with the 20D. It's all about ETTL II.

On the downside, my 580EX is starting to wig out, I think. Sometimes when I turn it on, it sounds like gears stripping inside the head. I suspect it will be visiting a Canon repair facility at some point in the not too distant future.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    Sounds like it needs a new clutch or some more transmission fluid. Darn these new flash units.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    were to buy.
    Were is a good place to buy the 580ex? Thank you for the reply back.. I just wanted to make sure it's worth the $500.00 investment.iloveyou.gif
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    I got mine at B&H online.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    Were is a good place to buy the 580ex? Thank you for the reply back.. I just wanted to make sure it's worth the $500.00 investment.iloveyou.gif

How about etronics.com - $400 (no tax, no shipping).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    Interesting...a lot of their prices are the same as BH or higher!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Interesting...a lot of their prices are the same as BH or higher!
    a 580EX from bhphoto would cost me about $50 more than etronics. in general, i use shopping.com to check prices from reputable vendors.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    One nice thing about BH is that you can get next day shipping, even at 4pm on the west coast. Unfortunately by the time I am ready to buy, I do not have time to wait.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    One nice thing about BH is that you can get next day shipping, even at 4pm on the west coast. Unfortunately by the time I am ready to buy, I do not have time to wait.
    Quite true and it's only another $60 or so.

don't get me wrong...i've been spending money at bhphoto for a loooong time. usually their prices are so competitive, that it doesn't make sense to buy anywhere else just to save a few bucks. however, i've also had good experiences with zipzoomfly, newegg, tigerdirect, provantage, macconnection, and etronics, that i wouldn't hesitate to buy from any of them to save $50.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 3, 2005
    Aaron,
    I picked mine up at San Jose Camera for $419. But, of course you have to kick in the 8.25% sales tax :cry I saved about $12 over B&H's shipped price. But, I figured no shipping and I got it immediately. Plus, if anything was wrong with it, I could take it right back. It's a little bit of a drive for you, but it might be worth the gas mwink.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    thank you for all your help. I have seen it on the canon's web site but have not read all the info on it... there page didn't say much about it... but it looked nice. I'll have to go to wolf or so and reas up all the info on it.
    www.dipphoto.com

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Might want to check into Sigma's EF-500 DG Super EO-ETTL II flash. It can be had from B&H for about $200.