Options

front page photo

SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
edited January 2, 2005 in The Big Picture
The front page of Advrider, http://www.advrider.com/, has a photograph that changes regularly. Would it be a good idea to put this feature on this forum? Perhaps the winning photos from the challenge?

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    I like the idea..
    shay wrote:
    The front page of Advrider, http://www.advrider.com/, has a photograph that changes regularly. Would it be a good idea to put this feature on this forum? Perhaps the winning photos from the challenge?
    I would only dare to suggest a slightly different implementation than a challenge winner, which, I think, would make us all more interested and kinda more even. It requires some organizational effort, but IMHO it's fairly doable. Here it is:

We already have a pool of dgrinners. A program/script can randomply select one for a day (ensuring that everybody has a shot before it starts repeating irself) and send an email/PM to the person indicating that her/his day is, say, January 15th (here I mean two-four weeks advance notice). The program can also be smart enough to work out a proximity for registered B-days:-). User simply replies with a link to the picture she/he would like to be displayed. There should (naturally) be a deadline and some "fallback" capabilities to handle "zombies", irresponsive users, etc. And there should be a very simplistic censorship to exclude the (usually unacceptable) NR/NC-17-stuff on the ruling side.

I'd say that this approach would get every one of us "a piece of spotlight" 1..3 times a year. I bet we all can come out with that amount of decent pictures.

I would also say I can help with the programming, but I don't want to insult the intelligence/capabilities of smugmug R&D staff.

Happy New Year!
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 2, 2005
    This was discussed at some point with the (baldy will correct if I am
    too off the mark here) comment that what was done at advrider is
    difficult for the banner style dgrin uses (different size images, etc).

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    It's a valid concern, but..
    ian408 wrote:
    This was discussed at some point with the (baldy will correct if I am
    too off the mark here) comment that what was done at advrider is
    difficult for the banner style dgrin uses (different size images, etc).

ian
    With the approach I have just suggested it can be very easily overcome.
    Assuming the picture is stored on the smugmug, we already have a row of "standard sized" thumbnails. Once user chooses the image and sends the link, it's a peice of cake to get a correct smaller version. It all can be set in the rules...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"