Options

sigma 50-500 or 170-500

dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
edited December 12, 2006 in Accessories
please feel free to chime in here. i've heard good things on the 50-500 but the 170-500 is a bit cheaper. is it as good?
**If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
Dave

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    I dont have any experience with the bigma, but I do have the 170-500. I have used it for several years, and if it is all your budget will allow, it is a workable lens, but I feel you need to have a lot of light to get good results from it.

I took these images with it...

16646034-M.jpg

23289486-M.jpg

If your budget will allow it I think in the long run you will wish for something sharper, and faster.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    From what I've read, the 50-500 may have better optics.
    If you can afford it, I'd recommend the 50-500.
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Check out the "which lens for wildlife" sticky in Dgrin's Nature forum.
  • Options
    lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    I never used the 170-500 but just picked up the Bigma about 2 weeks ago. I needed more distance for wildlife but couldn't afford any of the L lenses. So I went with this one after serious review and asking a bunch of questions like yourself. If you can scrounge up the cash for it, IMO it is very much worth the money. A bit heavy but solid, very very quiet and the pictures are crisp. I am very happy with my Bigma and wouldn't trade it for the world. Okay mabye for a Canon 1ds Mark II but who is stupid enough to do that.:D In all, it was totally worth my money and I would buy it again in a heart beat.

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 12, 2006
    Just to rattle your cage - The Tamron SP200-500 Di seems to be a workable optic in this price range also... I know that there have been complaints about CA with this lens, just not with the one I own I guess.

I shot this at f6.3 1/1000th handheld last week in Florida. Like most of these budget zoom lenses, it does better in bright light.

116334502-M.jpg

There are several more shots with it here - check the exif as I used several differerent lenses while in FL.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    BigAl wrote:
    Check out the "which lens for wildlife" sticky in Dgrin's Nature forum.

thanks ......I'll do that
    Dave
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    I never used the 170-500 but just picked up the Bigma about 2 weeks ago. I needed more distance for wildlife but couldn't afford any of the L lenses. So I went with this one after serious review and asking a bunch of questions like yourself. If you can scrounge up the cash for it, IMO it is very much worth the money. A bit heavy but solid, very very quiet and the pictures are crisp. I am very happy with my Bigma and wouldn't trade it for the world. Okay mabye for a Canon 1ds Mark II but who is stupid enough to do that.:D In all, it was totally worth my money and I would buy it again in a heart beat.

Yeah, I knew you just got one..Thanks for the info
    Dave
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Just to rattle your cage - The Tamron SP200-500 Di seems to be a workable optic in this price range also... I know that there have been complaints about CA with this lens, just not with the one I own I guess.

I shot this at f6.3 1/1000th handheld last week in Florida. Like most of these budget zoom lenses, it does better in bright light.

116334502-M.jpg

There are several more shots with it here - check the exif as I used several differerent lenses while in FL.

Thanks..I do recall hearing something about that lens ,but mostly you hear about sigma..thank you for the info
    Dave