More Highschool Basketball

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited December 13, 2006 in Sports
I shot games Friday and Saturday for the paper. I got some fun shots and had a great time doing it. I tried the coffee filter technique for setting WB, but went back to a custom setting in Capture on Fridays game. I can't seem to get rid of the green cast in that gym. Any suggestions? Here are a couple.
115755318-L.jpg
The kid who got the ball is the most amazing player I've seen. I saw him run the length of the court and the ball only hit the ground three time. He's amazingly fast and only 5'7".

Here's one of those really green ones:
115755297-L.jpg

Saturdays game produced better results on the WB thing, but still not perfect in my opinion. Here's a great sequence of a kid going in for a lay-up, getting fauled, flying sideways through the air and still making the attemp. It took him a couple seconds to get up and make the free throws.
115944314-L.jpg

115944321-L.jpg

115944329-L.jpg

I tried shooting Shutter priority this weekend at 1/400. Normally I'm 1/500 at f1.4 on my 50mm. I got a bit sharper focus with a tighter aperture on some shots, but gained a bit of motion blurr too. Tough to know which way to go in the future.

Fridays game: http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/2222273
Saturdays Game: http://donek.smugmug.com/gallery/2225358

Thanks for looking.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    i'd just shot RAW & fix WB after
    1/400 should be ok and if the light is low it will help u keep iso down

the action and composition is very good
    these look soft on most faces....i assume u USMed them so maybe try to find what sensor got the focus.
    do you shoot shutter or focus priority ?
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    i'd just shot RAW & fix WB after
    1/400 should be ok and if the light is low it will help u keep iso down

the action and composition is very good
    these look soft on most faces....i assume u USMed them so maybe try to find what sensor got the focus.
    do you shoot shutter or focus priority ?

I did shoot Raw, but no matter how I change the White balance, the green won't go away. The teams colors are green, so I think there is a lot of reflected green off the painting on some areas of the walls.

I didn't use any USM on them. What do you mean "what sensor got the focus"? I do use a single center focal point. The action tends to be so fast, that aiming for much other than center mass would be pretty tough. Is that my next step, move my focal point up and point it at the head?

I shot Shutter priority on these games, but I normally shoot manual. Focus priority? Do you mean Aperture priority? I find Aperture priority produces too inconsistent a shutter speed on indoor games. That's why I normally just go manual, but shooting shutter priority allows the camera to close down and give a bit more depth of field bringing more than one player into focus when the lighting permits.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    donek wrote:
    I did shoot Raw, but no matter how I change the White balance, the green won't go away. The teams colors are green, so I think there is a lot of reflected green off the painting on some areas of the walls.

I didn't use any USM on them. What do you mean "what sensor got the focus"? I do use a single center focal point. The action tends to be so fast, that aiming for much other than center mass would be pretty tough. Is that my next step, move my focal point up and point it at the head?

I shot Shutter priority on these games, but I normally shoot manual. Focus priority? Do you mean Aperture priority? I find Aperture priority produces too inconsistent a shutter speed on indoor games. That's why I normally just go manual, but shooting shutter priority allows the camera to close down and give a bit more depth of field bringing more than one player into focus when the lighting permits.

i try to shoot for the players eyes. I prefer shutter priority, AFC, single sensor (and the center one unless I shoot portrait mode, then i change the sensor to line up with the eyes again). I think they need some sharpening.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 13, 2006
    i try to shoot for the players eyes. I prefer shutter priority, AFC, single sensor (and the center one unless I shoot portrait mode, then i change the sensor to line up with the eyes again). I think they need some sharpening.

I like the composition and action. You've done well.

If you prefer the center point and shoot for the eyes, you may end up out
    of focus. Not sure which camera body you are shooting with. Canon focus
    points are not all the same. Meaning that different points are more or less
    accurate--take a look through the manual for an explanation of how they
    work. Again, using a Canon body as an example; adjusting the focus point
    is (or should be) second nature. The point I'm trying to make is that you
    should use a focus point that gets the best focus for your composition.

As far as the color cast. Adjusting WB is just one part of your post processing.
    You will need to use levels/curves to get rid of the color cast. There's a
    tutorial for adjusting in the How To secton.

Randy's right about the sharpening. A bit of UnSharpMask would go a
    long way toward making these look better--maybe adding a little "pop"
    would punch up the color too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?