Upgrade to a Canon Rebel Xt???

swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited December 10, 2006 in Cameras
Hi all! I hope this is the right forum for this thread. I currently have a 6.3mp Canon Digital Rebel that I bought in April 2005. My cousin has recently offfered to pay me between $300-400 for it so then could upgrade to the 8mp XT (I have seen it advertised on Bestbuy for apr $660 and online a little cheaper at some other places.) She really wants the rebel-she loves using mine but her husband doesn't want to spend more than $400 for the camera so her thought was she would offer to buy mine-knowing its used but it perfect condition-and then I could apply what she paid me toward the upgraded model, in the end only costing me a couple hundred dollars for the upgrade. She doesn't think she will ever need more than 6mp and she knows that I do like enlarging some of my photos so I could potentially have more fun with an 8mp than she ever would!

So my question....is it a good deal? Is it worth the extra $$ to upgrade when I am happy with my current camera? I am not even sure if this would get the husband approval (on both our sides!) but I said I would think about it and look into things. So I thought I would come here and see what my trusty dgrinners thought!

Thanks!!

PS does anyone know if the lens that comes with the XT is the same size (58mm) as the 6mp rebel? one thing I would hate to do is buy all new filters too....

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    I used the 300D (Rebel) for a year and a half, and just recently upgraded to a 30D. I don't know enough about the 350D (XT) to know if the differences are worth it for you. Beyond the increased mp on the sensor, and a smaller body, I can't really say. I do have friends using it, and they love it. You may want to check the specs on both (in addition to the sensor, things like frames per second, buffer size, etc.) and see if the differences are worth it to you. While I loved my 300D, I found the things I mentioned (fps, buffer) to be a little limiting (I shoot a lot of sports & aviation) and the 30D makes a big difference. Think about what you normally shoot (and print), and see if the 350 fits your needs.

As to your lens/filter question, any lens that works on a 300D will work on the 350D, and if you are looking at the kit lens, it is the same in both, so your filters shouldn't be an issue.
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    if you're going to spend money to upgrade, why not upgrade all the way in the rebel line and get the XTi? it's over 10 MP and has a sensor that's dust free (supposedly...) etc etc. and I here it's the new "must have"...

or you could "upgrade" to the 20D...which is just below the 30D, but a smaller LCD etc...I'd recommend the 30D - what I use, but if you're in the rebel line, I'd recommend the XTi for you.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    The biggest difference from 300D to 350D is the immediate start up time, immediate review time, many custom functions, and faster writing time. If you are thinking about upgrading, I would go for an XTi instead as it has a bigger LCD and a bigger buffer.

Both the XT and the XTi come with a second generation of the kit lens you have for the Digital Rebel. It's a touch nicer optically uses the same size filter.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    To add to the above, I would also go to an XTi because of the sensor cleaning feature.

(Although I haven't run into dust problems with my Rebel XT...yet...)